Oh, maybe this video is here because it has a turtle in it.
I know you know I have a thing for the whole salted caramel thing, so these gooey, pecan packed cookie bars were right up my alley. Using a cookie dough mix makes them super easy to make.
Ingredients for the cookie base:
1 pouch (1 lb 1.5 oz) Betty Crocker double chocolate chunk cookie mix
1/4 cup butter, melted
2 tablespoons water
2/3 cup pecans, coarsely chopped
Ingredients for caramel topping:
4 tablespoons butter
14 oz caramels, approximately 50 caramels
1/4 cup heavy cream
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/8 teaspoon coarse salt, plus additional 1/2 teaspoon for top of bars
1. Heat oven to 350°F. Grease a 9 x 13-inch pan.
2. In medium bowl, stir together cookie mix, butter, water and egg until soft dough forms. Press dough evenly into prepared pan, sprinkle with 1/3 cup pecans.
3. Bake 11 to 15 minutes or until set in center and edges just begin to pull from sides of pan. Set aside to cool.
4. Meanwhile, in medium saucepan over medium-low heat, melt butter, caramels and cream, stirring frequently until mixture is smooth. Remove from heat. Stir in vanilla and 1/8 teaspoon salt.
5. Spread caramel evenly over cookie base and sprinkle with remaining pecans. Cool completely.
6. Sprinkle top of caramel with additional salt right before serving.
7. To serve, cut into 4 rows by 6 rows and cut each square diagonally into triangles. Store in refrigerator; bring to room temperature before serving.
Makes about 48 bars
Recipe from BettyCrocker.com
‘No Shelter’ is the first single from Blouse’s second album due out in September. It’s a summery, garagey kind of tune that is flat out great.
Check out Blouse on the band’s Website, where you can learn of some upcoming gigs in Brooklyn and buy their music.