What we have might be one of the best cheesecakes on the planet.
Of course, I am biased when it comes to the salted caramel thing. But, this cheesecake truly is special.
Ricotta makes the cheesecake lighter, whereas the brown sugar adds depth to the flavor. The sour cream topping is a bonus. It provides the perfect tangy flavor foil to the sweet cheesecake and hides any surface flaws should the top of the cake crack while cooling.
And then there is the dreamy caramel sauce sprinkled with sea salt. Swoon.
Salted Caramel Vanilla Cheesecake
Ingredients for the cheesecake:
3-1/2 cups finely ground ginger cookies
½ cup ground almonds
2/3 cups butter, melted
1-1/2 cups whole milk ricotta
2 (8 oz) packages cream cheese
1 cup brown sugar
2 tablespoons corn syrup
¼ teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons vanilla, divided
Maldon salt for sprinkling
Ingredients for the topping:
1 cup whipping cream
1 cup sour cream
1 Tbs confectioners’ sugar
Ingredients for the caramel sauce:
1 cup half and half cream
1 cup brown sugar
¼ cup butter, cut into pieces
Directions to make the caramel sauce:
1. Place the half and half, butter and sugar into a saucepan over low heat and stir until the sugar is dissolved. Increase heat to high, bring to a boil and cook for 5-7 minutes or until thickened. Do not stir the caramel while boiling, but keep an eye on it so the caramel doesn’t scorch. Once thickened, set aside to cool.
Directions to make the cheesecake:
!. Preheat oven to 325℉. Lightly grease an 8-inch springform pan, then line with parchment paper. Wrap the outside of the pan with heavy-duty aluminum foil, making sure the entire bottom and sides are covered; set aside.
2. Place ground ginger cookies and ground almonds into a food processor and pulse a couple of times until they are mixed together. Add butter and process to combine. Press mixture into prepared springform pan and refrigerate for 1 hour.
3. Place ricotta and cream cheese in the bowl of a stand mixer and beat for 5-6 minutes or until smooth. Add the sugar and beat for another 3-4 minutes until well combined. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add the corn syrup, salt and 1 teaspoon of vanilla and beat until well combined. Pour the cheesecake mixture into the prepared pan.
4. Place the filled pan in a larger baking dish and pour in enough boiling water to come halfway up the sides of the springform pan. Bake for 1 hour and 50 minutes or until firm to the touch. (Start checking after an 90 minutes)
Directions to make the sour cream topping:
1. Place the whipping cream, sour cream, confectioners’ sugar and remaining 1 teaspoon vanilla in a bowl and whisk until soft peaks form.
Serves 8 to 10
Recipe from Smith Bites (originally from Donna Hay)
Bake Yourself Silly is from The Leg’s album ‘An Eagle To Saturn’ set to be released next week. This song is just that mix of melodic and madness that I adore.
And, c’mon, who cannot love the lyric:
“There are no stitches, ’cause there was no operation”.
You can pre-order the new album at Song, By Toad Records.