I lived in Texas for three years and absolutely loved it. I grew up in the northeast, so it was a thrilling change. Texas is like its own little world.
I miss the food. Tex-Mex and Cajun influences abounded. So here are some Texas style burgers. Well, they are really only Texas style since that is what the cookbook said. Maybe because they are served with a tomato salsa and tortilla chips. Who cares? They were absolutely delicious burgers.
Vegetables on the grill are so good, too. I put them in a grill pan so they can’t fall through the grates. Use any combo you fancy.
1 1/2 pounds ground beef
2 Tbs steak sauce
1 tsp garlic salt
1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
Cheese slices, optional
Burger buns, toasted
1. In a large bowl, toss the beef with the steak sauce, garlic salt and crushed red pepper flakes. Shape into patties.
2. Grill for 8 minutes, or longer for a more well done burger. Add cheese near end of grilling, if you like.
3. Serve burgers on toasted buns with cilantro and a side of tortilla chips
Cherry Tomato Salsa
2 1/2 cups halved cherry tomatoes
1/2 small red onion, chopped
1 small red bell pepper, chopped
1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and chopped
1 garlic clove, finely chopped
2 Tbs olive oil
Grated zest and juice of 2 limes
1 Tbs brown sugar
2 Tbs cilantro, chopped
1. Mix all salsa ingredients in a bowl. Cover and refrigerate for about 2 hours to allow flavors to develop.
Recipe from The Art Of The Hamburger Cookbook
Bell peppers, seeded and cut into quarters
Zucchini, sliced diagonally 1/2 inch thick
Eggplant, unpeeled, sliced crosswise 1/2 inch thick
Red onions, sliced 1/2 inch thick
1. Toss each vegetable with olive oil, kosher salt, and freshly ground black pepper. Grill until soft and charred, approximately 15 to 20 minutes. Serve either hot or at room temperature
Avi Buffalo is on the music deck today.
The band members are all very young, twenty I think. But there is so much talent here. Moody lyrics, shimmery guitars with just the right amount of jangle, and of course the frontman’s sweet, dreamy voice.
I’ve played this before, but it’s so nice I’ll play it twice.
Avi Buffalo-What's In It For
I love the last line in this next song:
“I’ve never written a love song, but I will for you.”
Avi Buffalo-Remember Last Time
Check out the Avi Buffalo website. You can buy the music there.