On Saturday I went to a Hunger Games Themed Party that was part of the Tables Of Content 2014 fundraiser for my town’s library. (Read all about this fundraiser here.) The hosts served up appetizers that reflected the characteristics of each of the 12 districts. There were Capitol inspired cocktails and a dizzying array of savory dishes.
Today I’m sharing the Mockingjay decorated Cupcakes on Fire. Swirled cake is topped with buttercream flames encased in an Oreo hearth.
1 box white cake mix
Red, orange and yellow gel food coloring
Buttercream Icing (recipe follows)
20 Oreo cookies, lightly crushed
Mockingjay Cupcake Toppers (I got mine on Etsy. You can learn how to make them here.)
1. Prepare cake mix according to package directions and divide into 3 bowls.
2. Color the batter in each bowl with the different food colorings.
3. Drop 2 Tbs of each color into lined cupcake tins.
5. Divide the icing evenly into 3 bowls and dye one orange, one red, and one yellow.
6. Load a pastry bag with an open-star tip. Use a rubber spatula to add red icing far down the pastry bag, and spread the icing along that side of the bag. Use clean spatulas to load the orange icing in the other two thirds of the bag.
7. To create the flames, apply even pressure as you move the pastry bag from the cupcake up about half an inch, then release. Cover the top of each cupcake with flames.
8. Press Oreo pieces along the edges of each cupcake sticking them to the icing flames.
Makes 24 cupcakes
Recipe from Erica’s Sweet Tooth
6 cups confectioners’ sugar
1 lb butter, softened
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 to 4 Tbs whipping or heavy cream
1. In a large bowl, cream together sugar and butter on low speed. Mix until well blended. Increase speed to medium and beat for another 3 minutes.
2. Add vanilla and cream and continue to beat on medium speed for 1 minute longer. Add more cream, as needed, to obtain desired consistency.
‘Safe And Sound’ is one of my favorite songs from The Hunger Games’ soundtrack. I really like this remix.