I love serving a Bûche de Noël every Christmas Eve. There are so many fun variations out there and it’s always a hit.
This Frozen Chocolate Bûche de Noël has vanilla ice cream rolled up in chocolate cake. Whipped cream and strawberries are all the decoration you need.
An added bonus is that you can make the yule log ahead. When life gets busy, there’s nothing like having a delicious dessert waiting for you in the freezer.
Frozen Chocolate Bûche de Noël (Yule Log)
3 large eggs
1/2 cup sugar
1/3 cup flour
1 Tbs corn starch
3 Tbs unsweetened cocoa, plus extra to dust
2 1/2 pints premium quality vanilla ice cream
2 Tbs Grand Marnier
3/4 cup heavy cream
2 Tbs confectioners’ sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
Halved strawberries and mint, to serve
1.Preheat oven to 400℉. Grease a 9 x 15-inch Swiss-roll pan and line with parchment paper.
2. Beat eggs and sugar with an electric mixer until very pale and light. Sift in flour, corn starch and cocoa then fold with a rubber spatula to combine. Spread mixture evenly into prepared pan.
3 Bake for 12 minutes or until sponge starts to come away from sides of pan. Set aside to cool.
4. Meanwhile, remove ice cream from the freezer to soften until spreadable.
5. Invert cake onto a large cutting board and brush with the Grand Marnier. Spread with the softened ice cream using a warmed palette knife. Working quickly, roll cake from the longest edge into a log. Wrap in plastic wrap and freeze for at least 2 hours or until firm.
6. When ready to serve, whip the heavy cream with the confectioners’ sugar and vanilla until soft peaks form.
7. Remove the log from the freezer and place on a serving platter. Spread whipped cream mixture all over the cake and use a fork to create decorative lines like a those of a log.
8. Return to the freezer for 10 minutes to firm up, then dust the log with a little extra cocoa. Decorate with strawberries and mint leaves, then serve immediately.
Recipe slightly adapted from The Holiday Dessert Life
There is something so satisfying about pairing a song titled ‘Dicking Around’ to anything I could possibly post right now.
Apart from the ace name, this song is so satisfying. Meandering along in a staggered fashion with that dreamy vocal asking for assistance.
“Where’s my mind?”
Check out All Things Blue on Bandcamp where you can buy their music.