If you are looking for an easy breakfast recipe to feed a crowd, this Blueberry Streusel Pancake Casserole is for you. It uses store-bought pancakes that you wedge into a casserole dish with blueberries, soak with vanilla scented custard then cover with a sweet streusel. Served with a lashing of orange maple syrup, it makes waking up extra special.
Blueberry Streusel Pancake Casserole
1-1/4 cups blueberries, fresh or frozen, divided
18 (4 inch) frozen buttermilk pancakes, thawed and halved
1 cup half-and-half
1 cup whole milk
1/3 cup brown sugar, packed
2 tsp vanilla
Streusel (recipe follows)
Orange Maple Syrup (recipe follows)
1. Grease a 2 quart baking dish.
2. Place 3/4 cup blueberries in prepared dish.
3. Arrange pancake halves upright, with the cut side down, over the blueberries.
4. In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, half-and-half, milk, brown sugar, and vanilla. Pour over the pancakes and let stand for 30 minutes.
5. Preheat oven to 350℉.
6. Crumble the streusel over the pancakes and top with remaining 1/2 cup blueberries.
7. Cover baking dish with foil and bake for 40 minutes. Uncover and bake until set, about 20 minutes longer.
8. Remove from oven and let stand for 10 minutes. Serve warm with the orange maple syrup.
Serves 6 to 8
1/4 cup flour
1/4 cup quick cooking oats
2 Tbs brown sugar, packed
2 Tbs butter, melted
1. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, oats and brown sugar.
2. Add the melted butter and stir just until combined.
Orange Maple Syrup
1-1/2 cups maple syrup
2/3 cup fresh orange juice
1 tsp orange zest
1. In a small saucepan, bring maple syrup and orange juice to a boil over medium heat. Cook for 2 minutes, stirring frequently.
2. Remove syrup from heat and stir in zest. Serve warm.
Makes about 2 cups
Recipes slightly adapted from Paula Deen
“Lesser” is new from Brighton-based indie trio Thrillhouse. I can easily jumpstart my day with a blast of this 80s throwback, synth-heavy, Will Butleresque gem.
Yes, life is a struggle but we are all going to get through it together.
Check out Thrillhouse on Facebook where you can keep tuned for info on where to buy the music.
that looks so delicious!!! Bookmarking it!!!