With just a little extra effort (and an assortment of food gels) you can up your pancake game with these fun rainbow pancakes. Tint pancake batter in the colors of the rainbow and serve in a stack layered with a decadent maple cream cheese icing. Topped with a cherry and some jimmies, it looks like a party on a plate.
Miniature Rainbow Pancakes With Maple Cream Cheese
1 1/3 cups milk
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
3 Tbs oil
3/4 Tbs vanilla extract
3 Tbs sugar
1 1/2 cups flour
3/4 tsp salt
2 tsp baking powder
Red, yellow, orange, green, blue and purple gel food coloring
Maple Cream Cheese (recipe follows)
Maraschino cherries with stems
1. In a bowl, combine milk and apple cider vinegar. Let sit for 10 minutes.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together the egg, oil, vanilla and sugar. Stir in the flour, salt, baking powder and milk-cider vinegar mixture. Stir well. If batter is too thick for your liking, thin with a little more milk.
3. Assemble 6 small bowls and add 1 cup of batter to each. Color the batter with the gel food coloring.
4. Ladle small circles of batter onto a hot griddle. Cook pancakes in batches and keep warm in a 170℉ oven until ready to serve.
5. Spread one pancake of each color of the rainbow with some of the maple cream cheese. Top stack with a swirl more of the cream cheese, top with a cherry and a sprinkling of the jimmies.
Maple Cream Cheese
4 oz cream cheese
1/4 cup maple syrup
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup confectioners’ sugar
1. With a mixer combine the cream cheese, maple syrup and vanilla extract.
2. Add confectioners’ sugar and beat until smooth.
Recipes from Mighty Delighty
What could go better with rainbow pancakes than some colours?
Colours in song form, that is.
‘Colours’, new from UK-based duo Days Are Done, is achingly beautiful. Every bit of this song takes you in…the guitar, the gorgeous vocals, the lyrics…perfect.
“Did I misread
or were there no signs?”
Check out Days Are Done on the band’s Website where you can learn of upcoming shows in the UK and buy their music.