When we dine out, my children love to order Shirley Temples. Ginger ale mixed with grenadine and as many maraschino cherries as possible always makes them happy. So when I came across this recipe for Shirley Temple Cupcakes I couldn’t wait to try it. Not only do they look fantastic, but they are really yummy.
Shirley Temple Cupcakes
1 box vanilla cake mix
1 1/4 cup 7 UP Cherry
1/2 cup vegetable oil
3 large eggs
red food coloring
Cherry Icing (recipe follows)
24 maraschino cherries with stems and striped straws, for garnish
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Line 2 cupcake pans with 24 baking cups.
2. Beat cake mix, 7 UP, oil, eggs and vanilla in a large bowl at low speed until moistened, about 30 seconds. Increase to medium speed, beating for 2 minutes.
3. Set aside about 1 cup of batter in a small bowl. Add a few drops of red food coloring and stir until fully combined. Spoon the red batter evenly between the baking cups. Gently scoop the rest of the batter on top.
4. Bake for 16-20 minutes, or until a tester inserted into the center comes out clean. Let cool completely.
5. Frost cooled cupcakes with a swirl of the cherry icing. Top with a cherry and a straw.
makes 24 cupcakes
1 cup salted butter, softened
4 cups confectioners’ sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon almond extract
1 tablespoon 7 UP Cherry
2 tablespoons maraschino cherry juice
Red food coloring
1. Beat the butter until smooth and creamy. Add confectioners’ sugar, extracts, 7UP, cherry juice and a drop of red food coloring, beating until light and fluffy, about 3-4 minutes.
Recipes from Lindsay Ann Bakes
A little twang and a lot of what I think every day. ‘Don’t Be An Asshole’. Please, no. Have a cupcake, instead.
Check out Brett Newski on his Website where you can learn of upcoming shows in the US midwest and buy his music.