Evidently, she’s a “pro” faller.
The famed In-N-Out burger chain have a so called ‘secret’ menu. One of the most popular orders that is not on the main menu are the Animal Burgers. They take the Double-Double (two burger patties, two slices of cheese) to greater heights with the addition of super-caramelized onions. Top with the restaurant’s secret sauce and a stack of pickles, lettuce and tomato and you have the very best salty, sweet, soft, crisp, cheesy burgers.
Double Double Animal Style Cheeseburger
16 ounces ground beef
8 deli-cut slices American cheese (don’t use the plastic wrapped kind)
8 teaspoons prepared yellow mustard
2 onions, chopped
1/2 cup water
4 hamburger buns
6 tablespoons butter, divided
Pickles, lettuce, tomatoes, to top burgers
Secret Sauce (recipe follows)
1. Heat a skillet over medium heat. Melt 2 tablespoons of butter in the skillet and add the onions. Cook, stirring occasionally, for about 15 minutes. When the onions begin to brown, add 1/4 cup of water and continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until the water has evaporated. Repeat with the remaining 1/4 cup of water. After about 30 minutes of cooking the onions should be golden brown and very soft. Sprinkle with salt and set aside.
2. Heat a griddle or large cast iron skillet over medium heat. Melt the remaining butter on the hot griddle and place the buns, cut side down, over the butter. Cook until golden brown. Remove to a platter and spread about 1 tablespoon of the sauce on the bottom of each bun. Set aside.
3. Increase the heat to high. Divide the meat into 8 small balls. Place the balls a few inches apart on the griddle and sprinkle with salt. Cook for one minute then flip over and immediately press the meat flat with a spatula forming thin patties the same diameter as the bun.
4. Spread about one teaspoon of mustard on each hamburger patty. Cook for 1-2 minutes and flip again. Place a cheese slice on each patty and top half of the patties with a spoonful of the onions. Cook 1 minute or until patties are cooked through and cheese is beginning to melt.
5. Use a spatula to pick up one of the patties without the onions and place it on top of a patty with the onions. Cook for 30 seconds longer.
6. Remove burgers from griddle and place on the grilled buns. Top with lettuce, tomato, and pickles, if desired.
Secret Sauce (The In-N-Out Burger “Spread”)
2 tablespoons ketchup
2 tablespoons mayonnaise
2 teaspoons white vinegar
1 teaspoon dill pickle relish
1. Combine all ingredients in a small bowl. Stir to combine.
Makes 4 burgers
Recipe from Buns In My Oven
LA-based Coast Modern are probably no strangers to In-N-Out Burger. Their new song, “Comb My Hair”, throws off a decidedly beachy vibe.
Check out Coast Modern on the band’s Website where you can link to buy their music.