Winter blew in yesterday. It’s all snowy and cold in Vermont which is perfect for this holiday time of year.
After a long day of working, shopping, running errands and all that busy stuff, coming home to a warming meal of Slow Cooker Chicken And Dumplings is just the ticket. The chicken cooks, along with some vegetables, until it is meltingly tender. The dumplings are actually cheese filled pierogi, which get boiled at the last minute before adding to the chicken along with cream and dill. The flavors are Eastern European and totally satisfying.
I couldn’t find mini pierogi but the regular sized ones worked just fine. They are tender enough for the spoon to cut apart.
Slow Cooker Chicken And Dumplings
3 carrots, sliced
3 stalks celery, sliced
1 1/2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken thighs
2 cloves garlic, chopped
Pinch of red pepper flakes
Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
2 1/2 cups chicken broth
3 tablespoons flour
20 frozen cheese-filled mini pierogi (from one 12-ounce package)
2/3 cup frozen peas
2/3 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup chopped fresh dill
1. Put the carrots and celery in a slow cooker. Top with the chicken. Sprinkle with the garlic, red pepper flakes, 1/2 teaspoon salt and a few grinds of pepper.
2. Whisk the broth with the flour in a medium bowl until smooth then pour over the chicken.
3. Cover and cook on low for 7 hours.
4. About 20 minutes before serving, bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Add the pierogi and cook according to package directions. Drain.
5. Uncover the slow cooker and stir, breaking up the chicken. Add the pierogi, peas and heavy cream. Stir then let stand, uncovered, 10 minutes. Stir in the dill; season with salt and pepper.
Recipe from Food Network Magazine
This song is really, really good. It’s old school, catchy as hell and a story, to boot (As are all of the songs on the album titled ‘Public Library’).
That guitar yo. Awesome.