Anne Byrn, the Dinner Doctor, assures that kids will love her steak and gravy. Kids, at least mine, really love this dinner. The tender (not chewy, lol) cube steaks are smothered in a simple onion gravy that is yummy. Served with mashed potatoes and steamed broccoli it’s a total comfort meal.
Steak And Gravy For The Kids
4 beef cube steaks
Salt and pepper
1/4 cup flour
2 Tbs vegetable oil
1 large thinly sliced onion
1. Preheat oven to 300ºF.
2. Season steaks with salt and pepper. Place flour in shallow bowl. Dredge both sides of steaks in flour.
3. Heat the oil in a large heavy Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the steaks and brown them on both sides, approximately 1 minute per side.
4. Transfer steaks to a plate. Add the onion to the pan. Reduce heat to medium and cook the onion until softens slightly, about 1 minute.
5. Pour 2/3 cup of water into the pan and stir to loosen up any bits stuck to bottom of pan. Bring mixture to a boil then turn off heat. Place steaks on top of the liquid and onions and cover pan.
6. Bake covered until steaks are fork tender and liquid has thickened to a gravy, about 1 hour and 15 min. (Don’t stir during baking)
Recipe from The Dinner Doctor
Let’s play one for the older kids— a little ‘Teenage Soul’ from Swedish audiovisual duo FELIN.
“You can cry when you get old
hold onto your teenage soul”