The most taxing part of making these Starry Mincemeat Slices is grating the apple. Otherwise it’s easy peasy. Just sandwich purchased pie crusts with purchased mincemeat mixed with that energetic apple, chill then bake. It’s ready in an hour.
Starry Mincemeat Slices
2 (410g) jars mincemeat
175g grated Bramley, Golden Delicious or other cooking apple, squeezed to remove excess juice
1 (399g) pack ready-rolled pie crust sheets
Granulated sugar, for sprinkling
Brandy Butter, to serve, optional but sooooo good. (You can find a really good recipe here)
1. Butter a 30 x 20 x 2.5cm (11 x 7-inch) baking tin.
2. Mix together the mincemeat and grated apple.
3. Unroll the pastry sheets and roll out to a slightly larger rectangle than the tin. Lift one sheet into the tin so that the pastry lines it and the excess hangs over the sides. Spread with the mincemeat mix.
4. Roll out the other sheet to fit the tin. Stamp out stars then carefully place on top of the mincemeat. Press the edges together around the edge of the tin then randomly place the cut-out stars over the pastry. (Can be frozenW up to 6 weeks. Defrost before baking.)
5. Chill for 20 minutes. Meanwhile, heat oven to 200℃/400℉ with a large baking sheet inside it.
6. Sprinkle the pastry with sugar and bake on the hot baking sheet for 30 minutess until golden. Remove and sprinkle with more sugar.
Recipe from BBC Good Food Magazine
Time for a short song.
And a sweet song.
“Only you can lead the way”
Check out Liphemra on her Website where you can buy the music.