Warm yourself up with some super easy slow cooked soup. This Chicken Enchilada Soup is wicked good. Just combine some basic chicken enchilada ingredients in a slow cooker and let it work its magic. You’ll have a wonderful bowl of soup waiting for you to top with some cooling ingredients to cut the spiciness.
Slow Cooker Chicken Enchilada Soup
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 (4 oz) can chopped green chiles
1 medium onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts
48 ounces chicken broth
2 (10 ounce) cans diced tomatoes with chiles, such as Rotel
1 can (10 ounces) red enchilada sauce
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1 tablespoon chili powder
2 teaspoons ground cumin
½ teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce, optional
⅓ cup minced fresh cilantro
Toppings: Shredded cheddar cheese, cubed avocado, sour cream and crispy tortilla strips
1. In a skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add peppers and onion. Cook for 6 minutes or until tender. Add garlic and cook 1 minute longer.
2. Transfer onion mixture and chicken to a slow cooker. Stir in broth, tomatoes, enchilada sauce, tomato paste, seasonings and pepper sauce.
3. Cook, covered, on low setting 6-8 hours or until chicken is tender.
4. Remove chicken from slow cooker. Shred and return to slow cooker. Stir in cilantro.
5. Serve with toppings as desired.
Note: To Freeze: Freeze cooled soup in freezer containers. To use, thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little water if necessary.
Recipe from An Affair From The Heart
Time to rock into the weekend.
‘The Blue’ is the first single from Cocoa Futures’ “Blue” EP due out in December. Oh! That sick little riff is killing me. And that is a good thing.