I am a believer in all of Ina Garten’s recipes. So if she says a chocolate cake is decadent, I totally take her word for it.
We recently had a guest with a gluten allergy. Cue in this recipe for Decadent Gluten-Free Chocolate Cake. It’s an over the top winner of a cake.
Note: If gluten isn’t an issue you can substitute all-purpose flour for the gluten-free flour, but of course you already knew that.
Decadent Gluten-Free Chocolate Cake
1 pound plus 3 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
10 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into pieces, softened
1 tablespoon gluten-free flour
1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon instant coffee granules
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
4 eggs, at room temperature, separated
1/4 cup heavy cream
Vanilla or coffee ice cream, for serving
1. Preheat the oven to 425℉. Grease an 8 or 9-inch springform pan and line the bottom with parchment paper.
2. Place one pound of the chocolate in a large heatproof bowl and microwave, stirring occasionally, until the chocolate is melted, about 2 minutes. Immediately stir in the butter, flour, sugar, coffee granules and salt. Whisk in the egg yolks until smooth.
3. Place the egg whites in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment and beat until soft peaks form. Scrape the egg whites into the chocolate mixture and fold carefully with a rubber spatula, just until combined.
4. Spoon cake batter into the prepared pan, smooth the top and bake for 15 minutes exactly. (Check oven temperature for accuracy.)
5. Turn the oven off and leave the cake in the oven, leaving the door slightly ajar. Allow the cake to cool in the oven for 1 hour. The cake will sink in the middle.
6. Carefully release the sides of the pan and slide the cake onto a serving plate.
7. Place the remaining 3 ounces of chocolate and the heavy cream in a heatproof bowl set over a pan of simmering water and heat just until the chocolate melts, stirring occasionally. Pour the chocolate onto the sunken part of the cake, leaving the edge unfrosted. Allow to cool and serve warm or at room temperature with a scoop of ice cream.
Serves 8 to 10
Recipe slightly adapted from Make It Ahead by Ina Garten
Two days ago I checked email and let out a scream of happiness because this new track from Loch Lomond was waiting for me.
I lurve Loch Lomond. Every single song of theirs is ace. “Silver Felt” continues that streak. Clever lyrics, captivating instrumentation, and Ritchie Young’s gorgeous voice.
Check out Loch Lomond on the band’s Website where you can learn of upcoming shows in the Pacific northwest and buy their music.