Q: What’s the difference between a canoe and a miser?
A: A canoe will sometimes tip.
Cherries. Cream. Crunch.
This is a yummy dessert with lemony filling and juicy cherries sandwiched between buttery layers packed with coconut, oats and nuts. It makes a lot and can be made ahead so it is perfect for summer gatherings.
Cherry Cream Crunch
Ingredients for base and topping:
1 cup flour
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
dash of salt
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup coconut
1/2 cup quick cooking oats
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
Ingredients for filling:
1 can (14 oz) sweetened condensed milk
1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
1/4 cup lemon juice
dash of salt
2 eggs, slightly beaten
1 can (21 oz) cherry pie filling
1. Heat oven to 375℉.
2. In large bowl, beat flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, salt, butter and vanilla with electric mixer on low speed until crumbly. Stir in coconut, oats and walnuts.
3. Press 2 1/2 cups of the crumb mixture into bottom of ungreased 13 x 9-inch glass baking dish. Reserve remaining crumb mixture for topping.
4. Bake base for 12 minutes or until light golden brown.
5. Meanwhile, in medium bowl, mix all filling ingredients except for the cherries.
6. Spread filling evenly over partially baked base. Carefully spoon pie filling evenly over condensed milk mixture. Sprinkle with reserved crumb mixture over top.
7. Bake 15 to 18 minutes longer or until top is golden brown. Cool 30 minutes.
8. Refrigerate at least 2 hours before serving. Cut into squares. Store covered in refrigerator.
Recipe from Pillsbury Best Of The Bakeoff Cookbook
“Heart Run Free” is from the new self-titled EP by Idaho-based duo We Were Sons. Cameron Moder’s lovely vocals over some classic electronic elements make the song especially good.
“I won’t let you run no more
Just let it go”