I have lots of jokes about unemployed people, but none of them work.
I was so captivated by the beet burgers I made back in September, that I was really excited to try this recipe. The beet and beef combination really rocks. The mustard-horseradish mayo is the ideal condiment.
Beef And Beet Burgers
500g/1 pound ground beef
1 small red onion, finely chopped
1 Tbs Worcestershire sauce
1 egg yolk
3 beets, cooked
2 Tbs creamed horseradish
3 Tbs mayonnaise
1 tsp English mustard powder
1 Tbs oil
4 burger buns, split
2 handfuls watercress
1. Put the beef, onion, Worcester sauce and egg yolk into a large mixing bowl along with some freshly ground black pepper and salt.
2. Coarsely grate one of the beets and add to the beef mixture. Mix well with your hands (wear gloves to stop staining). Shape into 4 thick patties and chill until ready to cook.
3. In a small bowl, mix the horseradish, mayonnaise and mustard powder.
4. Heat a frying pan (preferably non-stick) and add oil. Cook the burgers 5 minutes on each side, or until cooked to your liking.
5. Warm or toast the buns.
6. Slice the two remaining beets.
7. Stuff each bun with a burger, some sliced beetroot, watercress and a dollop of horseradish mayo.
Makes 4 burgers
Recipe from Olive Magazine
‘Free Things’ is the first single from London-based musician Oli Hannaford. It’s the perfect chill tune for a leap Monday.
Check out Oli Hannaford on Facebook where you can keep tuned on where to buy the music.