Oh little Apple Hand Pies…how I love you so.
Ridiculously easy (especially if you use purchased pie dough and packaged apple slices), these glazed half moons of flaky pastry packed with sweet, cinnamon scented apples are insanely delicious. Warm from the oven, they are heaven. The glaze crisps up as it cools so the hand pies are equally yummy long after baking.
Apple Hand Pies
1 (14.1 oz) box refrigerated pie crusts (such as Pillsbury)
1/4 cup unsalted butter
2 cups diced apples (about 2 large apples or 25 apple slices)
1/4 tsp kosher salt
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 cup light brown sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
2 Tbs flour
1 egg white, beaten
1 1/4 cups confectioners’ sugar
2 Tbs milk
1. Remove pie crusts from package and bring to room temperature.
2. Preheat oven to 425℉.
3. In a large skillet, melt butter over medium high heat. Add apples, salt, nutmeg, brown sugar and cinnamon. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5-10 minutes until apples are soft.
4. While apples are cooking, unroll pie crusts and cut 6-7 circles from each crust using a 4 inch biscuit cutter. Reroll scraps as necessary. Set aside.
5. Sprinkle flour over apple mixture in skillet. Heat for an additional minute, stirring thoroughly.
6. Spoon 1 tablespoon of apple mixture into center of each pie crust circle. Fold in half and pinch edges with a fork to seal. Also make a few holes in hand pie with tines of a fork to prevent it bursting while it bakes.
7. Beat egg white in a small bowl. Brush over the tops of each pie.
8. Bake pies on parchment paper-lined baking sheets for 15-20 minutes, until lightly browned.
9. While pies are baking, whisk together confectioners’ sugar and milk to make glaze.
10. Remove cooked pies from baking sheet and drop in glaze, coating completely. Return to parchment paper and allow to set, about 10 minutes. Delicious warm or cold.
Makes 12-14 hand pies
Recipe from Shugary Sweets
LA-based Angela Burns swaggers into your ears with her new song ‘Napoleon’. The menacing bass and insistent drums play off her cool vocals perfectly.