Cookies and Cream. What a pair.
The combination is perfect in ice cream, pudding, cupcakes, Rice Krispie treats, cookies and, of course, cake. (If you are a fan you might like this cake recipe, these cupcakes, these crispy treats, this frozen dessert, and these mini puddings).
Today’s Cookies And Cream Cake couldn’t be easier. You start with purchased white cake mix and add some crushed Oreos. After baking, the two layers are split in half so that the cake gets some four layer action. Makes it a bit more fun, but if you are in a rush a double layer cake is just as delicious. The icing/filling is simply unsweetened whipped cream with more Oreos mixed in. No need to add sugar as the Oreos provide plenty of sweetness.
20 chocolate sandwich style cookies (such as Oreos)
1 (18.25 ounce) box white cake mix with pudding
1 cup water
1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
2 cups heavy cream
1. Process cookies in a food processor to make crumbs. Alternatively, you can put the cookies in a resealable bag and pounded them with a rolling pin. You should have about 2 1/4 cups of crumbs.
2. Preheat oven to 350°F.
3. Grease two 9 inch pans and dust with flour.
4. Mix cake mix, water, oil, and eggs in a large mixing bowl, using an electric mixer, on low speed for 1 minute. Scrape down sides of bowl, increase speed to medium, and beat for 2 more minutes.
5. Fold in 1 cup of the cookie crumbs.
6. Divide the batter between the prepared pans and bake for 25-30 minutes, until a tester comes clean.
7. Cool cakes in pans on wire racks for 10 minutes. Invert each cake onto a rack, turning right side up to cool completely.
8. Beat the whipping cream on high speed until it forms stiff peaks, about 4 minutes. Fold in 1 cup of the cookie crumbs. Chill until cake is completely cooled.
9. Carefully slice the cake layers in half horizontally, using a large, sharp serrated bread knife or a long piece of unflavored dental floss. You will have four layers.
10. Place the bottom half of a cake layer on a serving platter, cut side up. Spread with some of the whipped cream. Top with the matching top half of the layer, cut side down. Spread with whipped cream.
11. Next, add the bottom half of the second layer, cut side up and spread with whipped cream. Top with the matching top half of the layer, cut side down. Spread the top and sides of the entire cake with the remaining whipped cream.
12. Sprinkle the remaining 1/4 cup cookie crumbs on top of the cake. Chill until time to serve.
13. Store this cake, in a cake saver, under a glass dome, or lightly covered with a waxed paper, in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Recipe from Chocolate from the Cake Mix Doctor by Anne Byrn
I bet your best friend would love this Cookies And Cream Cake.
They would also probably love this song.
‘Best Friend’ is new from husband and wife duo Team Callahan. Kathleen Arnal’s lovely, clear voice and the emotional lyrics make this a wicked good tune.
“All you punks and posers
Try and break my run
All these triple visions
Shoot me like a gun
But you’re my shaking forest
Always blow your wind
You’re my college campus
Major in my best friend”
Check out Team Callahan on the band’s Website where you can buy their music.