Give the British classic Toad In The Hole an Irish slant with the addition of Guinness and black pudding. Rich, satisfying and delicious.
Here is a good recipe for Guinness Gravy if you want to add some additional flavor to the dish.
Sausage And Guinness Toad In The Hole
5 Tbs olive oil
8 good-quality sausages
2 red onions, sliced into thin wedges
115g black pudding, cut into small pieces
Small bunch of fresh thyme, leaves stripped, plus extra for sprinkling
Batter (recipe follows)
1. Preheat oven to 220°C/400°F.
2. Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a skillet. Add the sausages and cook for 5 minutes to brown all over, then add the onions and black pudding and cook for 3 minutes longer until the onions soften and the black pudding becomes crispy. Stir in the thyme and set aside.
3. Add the remaining oil to a 13 x 9-inch baking pan then heat in the oven for 5 minutes until the oil is very hot.
4. Remove pan from oven and add the sausages, onion and black pudding. Pour over the batter.
5. Return pan to oven and bake for 45 minutes until the sausages are cooked and the batter is puffed and golden.
6. Remove from the oven, sprinkle with the extra thyme, then serve.
Serves 4 to 6
½ tsp salt
150ml whole milk
1. Sift the flour, salt and some pepper into a large bowl and make a well in the center.
2. Mix together the eggs, milk and Guinness, then pour into the well.
3. Use a spoon to slowly incorporate the flour mixture. Mix to a smooth batter, then set aside.
Recipes from Delicious Magazine
C’mon everyone. We’re going to Dublin for today’s music.
Cry Monster Cry, a folksy bro duo, released their first album, ‘Rhythm of Dawn’, earlier this month. ‘Postcards’ combines lovely vocals and awesome guitar into the thread of an intriguing story.
The video is really good, too. I wish Ian Lloyd Anderson was my postman.
Check out Cry Monster Cry on the band’s Website, where you can learn of upcoming gigs in Ireland and buy their music.
Pingback: Red Toad In The Hole. New Music From Ryan Burnett & The Vanguards. | I Sing In The Kitchen