I would refer to those sprinkles in the batch above as ‘rainbow non-pareils’ and today’s cookies as Chocolate Chip Jimmie Cookies.
Sprinkle semantics. :)
Ever wonder how the cylindrical form of sprinkles became known as Jimmies?
“Legend holds that in the 1930s, when Just Born Candy Company in Pennsylvania began producing sprinkles, the machine was manned by a fellow named Jimmy. The candy got its nickname from the machine operator. While the product in question was specifically chocolate sprinkles, usage seems to have spread to multicolored sprinkles as well.” (Source here)
Whatever term floats your sprinkle boat, you have to admit that today’s cookies are truly a bunch of cheerful little guys. Chewy chocolate chippers rolled in happy colors. Liven up your cookie jar today.
2-1/4 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon kosher salt
8 oz unsalted butter, softened
3/4 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup light brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 cup rainbow sprinkles
1. Preheat oven to 375℉. Line a baking sheet with parchment.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, salt and baking soda.
3. In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream butter with the sugars until light and fluffy.
4. With mixer on low, eggs one at a time mixing well after each addition. Mix in vanilla.
5. Gradually add flour mixture, mixing on low until incorporated into butter mixture.
6. Stir in the chocolate chips.
7. Scoop rounded two-tablespoons of the cookie dough and roll them in sprinkles until coated.
8. Place dough two inches apart on the prepared pan and bake for 8-10 minutes.
9. Allow cookies to cool for 5 minutes on the pan before transferring them to a wire rack.
Makes 3 dozen
Recipe slightly adapted from Simply Scratch
I’ve spent most of today working on my Festive Fifty 2014 list. (Deadline is tonight. If you haven’t turned in your list and would like to participate get it to James soon! Info is here. I have 89 songs in a master list. Now I have to whittle that down to 50 and put them in order. I suspect it will take me almost up to the midnight cut-off!
Trips And Falls is surely going to make the cut. Such an amazing band that turns out some of the most brilliant, quirky music.