Calling all fans of Penne Alla Vodka. Have I got a dish for you!
The macaroni, in the addictive, creamy tomato sauce laced with vodka, gets the ultimate gourmet treatment here. It’s tossed with tangy feta then baked under a blanket of Parmesan and breadcrumbs until the feta cheese melts and the top crisps up. Whole wheat pasta and baby spinach make the recipe totally healthy. :)
Seriously, I love this recipe. It’s a warming, flavor packed meal that I can’t wait to make again.
Vodka Sauce (recipe follows)
2 cups uncooked whole-wheat elbow pasta
3 cups baby spinach
1 cup crumbled feta cheese
1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 cup breadcrumbs (I used panko)
1. Preheat oven to 375℉. Grease an 8 inch square baking pan.
2. Cook pasta in a pot of boiling water for 4 minutes. Drain.
3. Mix pasta with the sauce and spinach.
4. Add half of the pasta to the baking pan along with half of feta cheese. Top with the rest of the pasta and remaining feta cheese. Sprinkle with breadcrumbs and Parmesan cheese.
5. Bake for 30 minutes or until golden and crispy on top.
Serves 4 to 6
1-1/2 cups tomato puree
1/2 medium onion, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, chopped
1/2 tablespoon oregano
1 teaspoon chili flakes
1/2 cup vodka
1/4 cup heavy cream
2 tablespoons olive oil
Salt and freshly cracked black pepper
1. Heat oil in a medium saucepan. Add garlic and onion and sauté until softened. Stir in chili flakes and oregano.
2. Add tomato puree and cook for 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
3. Pour in vodka and let sauce simmer for 15 minutes..
4. Add heavy cream and simmer for 10 more minutes. Add more salt if necessary.
Recipes from Playful Cooking
Let’s Talk About Compassion.
In the form of this new tune by Honeymilk, that is. The song is kind of a mash-up between 80s alt-rock and 70s rock n’ roll. I like the singer’s raw throated delivery and the cool bass line.
Check out Honeymilk on the band’s Website and Facebook, where you can learn of upcoming UK tour dates. You can buy their music here.
Pingback: Penne Alla Vodka. Dancing Around To Girl Friend. | I Sing In The Kitchen