Especially when they are Giants, like these Chocolate Chip Cookies. The crispiness comes from using melted butter and having no egg in the dough.
2 cups (280g) unbleached all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup (226g) unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly
1 cup (220g) granulated sugar
1/2 cup (80g) packed dark brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 tablespoons water
250g (9 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
1 cup (4oz) pecans, coarsely chopped
1. Position a rack in the middle of the oven. Preheat the oven to 175°C/350°F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
2. Sift the flour, baking soda and salt into a medium bowl and set aside.
3. In a large bowl, using an electric mixer on low speed, mix the melted butter, granulated sugar, brown sugar and vanilla until smooth, about 30 seconds. Stop the mixer and scrape the sides of the bowl.
4. Add the flour mixture, mixing just until incorporated. The dough will look crumbly. Mix in the water. The dough will become soft and smooth. Stir in the chocolate chips.
5. Scoop 1/4 cup mounds of dough onto the prepared baking sheets, spacing the cookies at least 3 inches (7.5cm) apart. Gently press the cookies to flatten them slightly, to about 3/4 inch (1.9cm) thick.
6. Bake the cookies one sheet at a time until the tops are evenly lightly browned and have a few cracks, about 17 minutes. Cool the cookies for 5 minutes on the baking sheets, then transfer them to a wire rack to cool thoroughly.
7. Store cookies in a tightly covered container at room temperature for up to 4 days.
Makes about 15 cookies
Recipe from Big Fat Cookies by Elinor Klivans
“Suitcase Heart” is the first single from the upcoming album of the same name. Jesse Macht’s soft, smooth vocals are lovely in this catchy tune.
Check out Jesse Macht on his Website, where you can learn of upcoming US tour dates. Keep tuned there for where to buy the album, due out in September.