If doughnuts are up your alley and you like Tiramisu, then this recipe has your name written all over it.
It has my name written all over it, too! Yum.
I used a variety pack of cake doughnuts that had old fashioned, cinnamon dusted and powdered sugar. The combinations of these flavors with the classic coffee and mascarpone cream of the Tiramisu was terrific.
One review I read for the recipe had this to say: “not the best – for one thing I don’t like the taste of the donuts”.
Well then, that person should not be making Tiramisu with doughnuts. I, for one, loved the sweet doughnut flavor.
One other thing…the doughnuts I used were very fresh, so they broke apart when I dipped them in the espresso. Next time I will just spoon the espresso over the doughnuts after layering them in the pan.
16 ounces mascarpone cheese
3/4 cup confectioners’ sugar
3 tablespoons coffee liqueur
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup heavy cream
1 1/2 cups brewed espresso or strong coffee
12 cake doughnuts, halved horizontally
Cocoa powder, for dusting
1. Combine the mascarpone, 1/2 cup confectioners’ sugar, the coffee liqueur and vanilla in a large bowl and beat with a mixer on medium speed until creamy, about 1 minute.
2. Combine the heavy cream and 1/4 cup confectioners’ sugar in a separate bowl; beat on medium-high speed until stiff peaks form. Fold the whipped cream into the mascarpone mixture in 3 additions; set aside.
3. Pour espresso into a shallow bowl. One at a time, dip 12 doughnut halves in the espresso and arrange in a single layer in a 9 x 13-inch baking dish, breaking the doughnuts as necessary to cover the bottom of the dish.
4. Spread one-third of the mascarpone mixture over the doughnuts. Dip the remaining 12 doughnut halves in the espresso and arrange on top. Spread the remaining mascarpone mixture on top. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 4 hours or overnight.
5. To serve, slice into pieces and dust with cocoa powder.
Recipe from Food Network Magazine
Here’s a short song…just don’t ask me to pronounce the band.
This is a really sweet song. So beautiful and so heartfelt.
Learn more about Robert Muinos on Soundcloud, where you can get his music.