Q: Hear about the new sushi bar that caters exclusively to lawyers?
A: It’s called Sosumi.
I know. That was really bad.
Fortunately, this recipe is really good.
Sushi is a bit of a fiddle to make at home. Now you can get all the great flavors, without the rolling and mess, by layering the ingredients together and cutting into squares. Using smoked salmon gives fresh fish flavor without having to worry about the quality of purchased raw fish.
1⅔ cups (330g) sushi rice
1¾ cups (435ml) water
¼ cup (60ml) rice wine vinegar
2 tablespoons caster (superfine) sugar
2 teaspoons sea salt flakes
200g sliced smoked salmon (I used two different brands for a contrast in color. This salmon was pale in color while this one had a redder hue.)
1 teaspoon wasabi paste
2 sheets nori
Soy sauce, wasabi and pickled ginger, to serve
1. Place the rice in a colander and rinse under cold running water for 5 minutes. Transfer to a small saucepan and add the water. Cover, bring to the boil and cook for 10 minutes. Remove from the heat, cover, and stand for 10 minutes.
2. Combine the vinegar, sugar and salt.
3. Spread the cooked rice over the base of a large flat shallow non-metallic dish and sprinkle with the vinegar mixture. Stir with a spatula for 5 minutes or until cool to touch.
4. Line a 20cm x 30cm cake tin with plastic wrap. Line the base with smoked salmon, spread with wasabi, top with rice and press down firmly. Place nori over the sushi rice and fold over the plastic wrap to enclose. Place a piece of cardboard over the top and weigh down.
5. Refrigerate for 1 hour. Turn out, slice and serve with soy sauce, wasabi and pickled ginger.
Recipe from Donna Hay Magazine
Claire London is releasing her second album, ‘Hit The Switch’, this spring. The title track’s insistent beat, soaring hook and elegant vocals make this song a winner…as does its lyrics.
“I’m gonna hit the switch to shut down the institution, that tells me what I can and what I cannot do.”
Check out Claire London on Facebook. You can buy her debut album on Bandcamp.
Thanks for the bad lawyer joke! I can never get enough of them :) See you tomorrow – can’t wait!
I was thinking of you when I chose the joke..only in that I would be seeing you! I also can’t wait!