Q: What did King Tut say when he got scared?
A: How would I know? It was over a thousand years ago.
That, by the way, is what is known as an Anti Joke. Whatever, right? :)
Last month I made these Funfetti Rice Krispie Treats which got their super delicious flavor from browning the butter, to which salt was added, before mixing in the marshmallow and cereal.
The King of Krispie Treats.
Here the royal treatment is continued with the simple addition of some chocolate chips. They look cute and chocolate is always welcome in my desserts.
Salted Brown Butter Rice Krispie Treats
4 ounces unsalted butter
1/4 teaspoon coarse sea salt
10 ounces marshmallows
6 cups Rice Krispies cereal
Chocolate chips (about 1/4 cup)
1. Lightly grease the inside of a 13- by 9-inch baking dish.
2. In a large, heavy pot, melt butter and salt over medium-low heat. The butter will melt, foam, then become clear golden before finally starting to turn brown. Stir frequently and do not leave the butter unattended as it goes from perfect brown to burned very quickly.
3. As soon as the butter becomes a medium brown color, add the marshmallows and turn the heat down to lowest. Stir until the marshmallows have melted into a smooth mixture. Remove from heat and, working quickly, stir in the cereal.
4. Immediately turn out treat mixture into prepared pan. Gently press the mixture evenly into the pan. Add point-down chocolate chips to the top, spacing them so each piece will get a chip when the treats are cut into bars.
5. Cool completely and cut between chips into squares.
Makes a lot of squares
Recipe from Smitten Kitchen via Shockingly Delicious
One of my favorite Kings is King Creosote. Here he is with Jon Hopkins singing this most gorgeous song. A majestic way to start the week.
Note: Updated on May 31, 2015. The Soundcloud link won’t work, so here is the song on YouTube.
Check out King Creosote & Jon Hopkins on their Website, where you can link to buy the music.