Every time I see Irish bangers in the grocery store, I always pick some up. Their flavor is blander than Italian sausage with a pleasant mix of sweet and savory spices. I’ll fry some up as part of a traditional Irish/English breakfast, but most often I use them to make Bangers And Mash.
Today’s recipe is the most traditional and oh, so good.
2 pounds potatoes
8 links Irish bangers or Italian sausage (or some of both)
1 tablespoon oil
1 large onion
2 tablespoons flour
4 cups chicken stock
4 tablespoons cream
2 ounces butter
2 tablespoons crème fraÎche
2 tablespoons grainy mustard, plus mustard for dipping
Salt and pepper
1. Peel potatoes, if you like, and chop. Place in a saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring to a boil, add salt and simmer for 20 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, prick sausages with a fork, heat a skillet and brown the sausage in 1 tablespoon oil. Slice the onion.
3. Remove the sausage to a plate and add the onion to the pan. Cook onions until soft, then add 2 tablespoons flour, cook for 1 minute. Add the chicken stock and return the sausage to the pan, cooking it through for about 15 to 20 minutes.
4. Drain the potatoes and run them through a food mill (or use a potato masher) and put into a saucepan. Add the cream, butter, crème fraÎche and mustard. Season with salt and pepper.
5. Serve potatoes with bangers and onion gravy, with a side of mustard for dipping.
Recipe from FoodNetwork.com
My super awesome (and very tolerant) husband bought my whole family tickets to see Arcade Fire in Montreal next August, on the last day of their current tour. I am sooooo excited. They are one of my favorite bands and I have never seen them live.
The new album is growing on me by the minute. It’s definitely different from their previous stuff. More danceable with a disco edge and still filled with terrific lyrics and catchy riffs.
The video for Reflektor is supremely good. Check it out if you have not already.
Check out Arcade Fire on the band’s Website, where you can buy their music and learn of world tour dates. Tickets went on sale yesterday.