Q: Why aren’t there many jokes about popcorn?
A: Because they are corny.
Last month I posted a recipe for Buttered Popcorn Cookies. The cookies were different and very delicious.
Chocolate Chip Cookies are still my favorite, so it occurred to me that just one thing could make the Buttered Popcorn Cookies even better. Yep. Chocolate chips.
I loved the addition of chocolate chips so much that I will continue to make these cookies with them in it.
I used microwave popcorn in this recipe. If you want to make your own from scratch, there is a recipe here.
1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg, room temperature
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 (3.5 oz) bag of ‘Newman’s Own’ Butter Boom Microwave Popcorn (Be sure that you pick out any unpopped kernels)
1/2 cup chocolate chips or chunks
1. Preheat the oven to 350℉.
2. In a large bowl, cream the butter, sugars, egg and vanilla until smooth.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk flour and baking soda together.
4. Stir flour mixture into butter-sugar mixture, until combined. Fold in cooled popcorn and evenly distribute it through the dough (I found it easiest to do this with my hands). It is okay if the popcorn breaks as you are mixing it in. Also, don’t freak out and think that there is way too much popcorn for the quantity of dough. It somehow all works out.
5. Add chocolate chunks to dough.
6. Roll dough into tablespoon-sized balls and place on a parchment lined baking sheet. Leave at least 2 inches between the balls of dough.
7. Bake cookies for 10-12 minutes, or until edges are lightly browned. Let cool for a few minutes on the baking sheet before transferring to a rack.
Makes about 24 cookies
Recipe slightly adapted from The Smitten Kitchen Cookbook by Deb Perelman
Yes it is, but the song from Glasgow-based A. Wesley Chung’s project, The Great Albatross, makes it linger every time you listen. Beautiful while mournful, this is wonderful stuff.