God bless you.
Feel like making a heavenly casserole with all of that zucchini you have no idea what to do with?
Give this Chicken Zucchini Casserole a try. I’m not exactly sure what gives with the title ‘All American’, but I do know that crispy chicken baked over a bed of cheddary rice and zucchini would make everyone in the world happy.
Ingredients for zucchini mixture:
1 1/4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
2/3 cup uncooked basmati rice
8 cups chopped zucchini
1 cup diced onion
1/2 cup water
2 cloves garlic, minced
Ingredients for cheddar mixture:
3 large eggs, beaten
1 1/4 cups (5 oz) shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
3/4 cup sour cream
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese, divided
1/2 cup fresh bread crumbs, divided
1 tsp dried Italian seasoning
1 tsp kosher salt
1 tsp Tabasco sauce
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
Ingredients for chicken:
1 Tbs extra-virgin olive oil
8 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
Kosher salt and black pepper, to taste
1. Preheat oven to 350℉. Grease a 9 x 13-inch baking dish.
2. Bring broth to a boil in a small saucepan over high heat. Add rice, cover, and reduce heat to low; simmer until liquid is absorbed, 20 minutes.
3. Combine zucchini, onion, water, and garlic in a large saucepan; cook, stirring occasionally, over medium heat until zucchini is tender, about 20 minutes. Drain and lightly mash zucchini mixture.
4. Stir together eggs, Cheddar, sour cream, milk, 1/4 cup Parmesan, 1/4 cup bread crumbs, Italian seasoning, 1 tsp salt, Tabasco, and 1/4 tsp pepper in large bowl.
5. Add the cooked rice along with the zucchini mixture to the Cheddar mixture in the bowl. Spoon the combined mixture into the prepared baking dish.
6. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Season chicken with salt and pepper. Add chicken to skillet; sauté until golden brown, 3-5 minutes on each side.
7. Arrange chicken on rice mixture in the baking dish. Combine the remaining 1/4 cup Parmesan and 1/4 cup bread crumbs; sprinkle over the chicken and rice in the baking dish. Bake chicken and rice until bubbly, about 30 minutes.
Recipe from Cuisine At Home
Heavenly Beat. Doesn’t get more All American than a Texan living in Brooklyn.