Norwegian Cream Cake is the perfect springtime dessert. Whether you serve it on May 17th for Norwegian Constitution Day, for Easter or a Monday night in April, you are in for a treat.
What you get with this cake is light and delicious vanilla sponge layered with jam, fresh fruit and cream. I used blueberries here, but strawberries, raspberries, pineapple, cherries…whatever you like, would work like a charm.
Norwegian Cream Cake
300g (1 1/3 cups) golden caster sugar (I used Sugar In The Raw, which is not a perfect substitute, but worked really well.)
300g (3 cups) flour
2 tsp baking powder
2 Tbs blueberry or strawberry jam (I used strawberry for the contrast)
1 liter double cream (heavy cream)
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 Tbs confectioners’ sugar
About 500g of blueberries
1. Heat oven to 190℃/375℉/gas 5.
2. Grease and line a 20cm x 30cm (8 x 12 inch) baking tin with parchment – the lining paper should come up at least 2.5cm above the edge of the tin.
3. In a large bowl, whisk the eggs and sugar for 8-10 mins until the mixture is pale and thickened.
4. Sift the flour and baking powder onto the egg mixture, then use a spoon to gently fold in. Pour into the baking tin and bake for 35 minutes until a skewer inserted into the center comes out clean – the cake should be golden and spring back when touched.
5. Remove from the oven and allow to stand for 5 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool.
6. Once cool, take a sharp knife and divide cake horizontally into 3 portions.
7. Mix the jam with 1 Tbs warm water.
8. Whip the cream with the vanilla and confectioners’ sugar until it holds its shape.
9. Transfer one cake layer to a serving plate then drizzle with ¹/³ of the milk. Spread with a thin layer of jam, then cream, then scatter over 1/3 of blueberries. Cover with the second layer of sponge and then repeat with ¹/³ of the milk, a layer of jam, the cream and another 1/3 of blueberries. Put the third layer of sponge on top, drizzle over the remaining milk, then cover with cream and dot the remaining blueberries on top.
Recipe from BBC Good Food Magazine
Norwegian Cream Cake would be the perfect thing to serve while listening to William Hut.
I love, love, love this man’s music. I wrote about William Hut here. The new album ‘The Gathering’ is everything you would expect from him. Lovely, melodic, drenched in beautiful lyrics.
Check out William Hut on his Website. You can buy the music here.
Oh this one looks especially fantastic to me. I want to dive into your beautiful photos!!!