I made this S’mores Ice Cream Cake for my birthday this past week. Since there are only 2 of us home at the moment, I thought an ice cream cake would be sensible. We could keep leftovers in the freezer and not worry about finishing a whole cake between us two.
Vanilla ice cream and graham cracker is a really delicious combination. Add that easy-breezy bittersweet chocolate shell and s’mores garnish and you’ve got a fun and easy dessert.
S’mores Ice Cream Cake
1 (1.5-quart) container vanilla ice cream, slightly softened
1 sleeve graham crackers (you won’t need them all)
1/2 cup graham cracker crumbs
1 milk chocolate bar, separated into individual pieces
4-8 marshmallows, lightly toasted
Chocolate Shell (recipe follows)
1. Using a blunt dinner knife, cut three slices into the ice cream lengthwise (wide enough for an entire graham cracker).
2. Gently press a graham cracker into each opening and fill in any gaps with smaller pieces of graham crackers. (About 5 graham crackers).
3. Sprinkle the graham cracker crumbs on top of the ice cream and gently press.
4. Put the top back onto the ice cream container and place in the freezer until frozen solid, at least 1 hour.
5. Take the lid off the ice cream and place your serving plate on top of the container (the serving plate will be upside down) and then flip the plate and container over.
6. Carefully run a sharp paring knife along the perimeter of the bottom of the container and gently lift off the bottom of the container. Cut the container that’s around the sides of the ice cream with the knife or scissors then gently pull the container away from the ice cream.
7. Spoon the chocolate shell over the ice cream cake. (Don’t pour it all at once or it may slide off.
8. Place pieces of graham cracker, milk chocolate and toasted marshmallow onto the top of the cake and serve immediately.
1/2 cup bittersweet chocolate chips
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1. In a small, microwave safe bowl, combine the chocolate and the oil. Microwave in 30 second intervals, stirring after each, until the chocolate is melted completely. Set aside but be sure the chocolate is still liquid before you finish the cake.
Recipes from Gesine Bullock-Prado
A little shoe-gaze s’more style music from Silver Liz, aka Carrie and Matt Wagner, to pair up with our cake.
Check out Silver Liz on Bandcamp where you can buy their music.