Today’s recipe is not the mayo-rich tuna salad you might have grown up with. This is glammed up ahi with a crisp coating of spiced pumpkin seeds served atop a bed of greens. The shallot heavy lemon vinaigrette elevates all of the elements of the salad with its bright flavor.
Seared Ahi Tuna Salad With Toasted Pumpkin Seeds
1 cup hulled pumpkin seeds
Kosher salt and ground pepper
1/4 cup dried breadcrumbs
4 Tbs olive oil
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
1/2 tsp curry powder
2 egg whites
1 pound ahi tuna, sliced 1 inch thick
Lemon Vinaigrette (recipe follows)
4 cups mixed salad greens
Lemon wedges, to garnish
1. In a blender or food processor, chop the pumpkin seeds.
2. In a dry skillet over low heat, toast the seeds until fragrant while stirring constantly. Transfer to a small bowl and toss with some salt and pepper. Add the bread crumbs, 3 tablespoons of the olive oil, red pepper flakes and curry. Mix well. Spread the pumpkin seed mixture onto a large plate.
3. In a medium bowl, whisk the egg whites until foamy.
4. In a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, heat the remaining tablespoon of oil. Dip the fish slices into the egg whites, then coat on both sides with the pumpkin seed mixture. Cook about 4 minutes per side until opaque on the outside and medium rare inside.
5. In a large bowl, combine the mixed greens with the lemon vinaigrette. Place the salad on individual serving plates and top each with a tuna slice or two. Garnish with a lemon wedge.
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
Grated zest of one lemon
1/3 cup olive oil
2 shallots, minced
1 teaspoon honey mustard
1. In a small bowl, combine all ingredients and whisk to combine.
Recipes from San Francisco Flavors
Need to clear your mind?
Start with this lovely, soothing song from Connecticut duo Belle Of The Fall.
“There’s things in life we all can change
Like how we love and what we make
Of moments as they pass us by
So rise up, face the day”
Check out Belle Of The Fall on their Website where you can learn of upcoming US east coast shows and buy the music.