I said goodbye to my daughter this morning as she embarks on the start of her journey to Moscow for a semester abroad. Saying goodbye for the last two years has never gotten easier for me and that was when attending college a 6 hour drive away. I was comforted in that I could always get to her if she needed me (or if I needed her).
I’m sad. And sadder still that my eldest son leaves for college in a week. As a parent you know this is coming, it’s a good thing and a wonderful time for your children. It’s just too sad for me.
Definitely a ruff day. :)
But, you can’t be too sad when a plate of Baked Blueberry Fritter Bites appear. Set aside 30 minutes and you have sweet little treats bursting with berries in the most delicious glaze.
Baked Blueberry Fritter Bites
1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
½ cup granulated sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and slightly cooled
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 (5.3 ounce) containers blueberry Greek yogurt
1 cup fresh (or frozen) blueberries
Blueberry Glaze (recipe follows)
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly grease a 24-cup mini muffin pan with non-stick cooking spray.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
3. In a small bowl, whisk together the melted butter, egg, vanilla and yogurt. Add the yogurt mixture to the flour mixture and stir until well combined. Fold in the blueberries.
4. Scoop batter evenly into prepared muffin cups, filling each one almost full.
5. Bake for 15 minutes or until fritters just start to turn light brown on top.
6. Remove from the oven and turn oven broiler on high.
7. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Transfer the fritters to the baking sheet.
8. One fritter at a time, dip the top into the blueberry glaze and set upright back on the baking sheet for the glaze to drizzle down the sides of the fritter.
9. Place fritters in the oven and broil until they start to crisp and caramelize on top, 1 to 2 minutes. Rotate the baking sheet after one minute so the fritters caramelize evenly. Watch VERY carefully so they don’t blacken and burn. Once fritters start to turn brown in spots, remove from oven.
10. Brush remaining glaze over the tops of the fritters. Let glaze set for about 15 minutes. Eat while warm.
Note: Fritters should be stored in the refrigerator. Reheat in the microwave for 15-20 seconds or in the oven at 350°F for 5-10 minutes.
2 cups confectioners’ sugar
⅓ cup milk
2 teaspoons blueberry jam or mashed fresh blueberries
1. In a small bowl, whisk together confectioners’ sugar, milk and blueberry jam until smooth.
Recipes from The Baker Mama
Get ready for ‘The Fall’. Not the season, but the new song from Loyal Lobos. Lead singer Andrea Silva’s sweet voice floats above the hot beat. The edgy, catchy tune definitely makes you feel better, no matter what is getting you down.
“Did we go too far, trying to play the part?
Spun and spun our wheels until we fucking came apart”