A few weeks ago I organized a dessert buffet for a friend’s birthday party. I thought a bunch of mini cupcakes would be the perfect addition and I had my heart set on finding a new recipe for vanilla ones.
Fortunately for me, Glory over at Glorious Treats wrote about her passionate pursuit for the perfect vanilla cupcake. Her research resulted in these absolutely wonderful cupcakes.
Of course I wanted to seek out the best vanilla buttercream to go along with the perfect cupcakes. A Google search revealed the yummy recipe that follows. Bonus is that it pipes like a dream.
Here is the dessert buffet.
1 1/4 cups cake flour
1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup oil (vegetable, canola or extra light olive oil)
1/2 cup buttermilk
1. Preheat oven to 350℉.
2. In a medium bowl, mix together cake flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
3. In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat eggs 20 seconds. Add sugar and continue to beat on medium speed for 30 seconds. Beat in vanilla and oil.
4. Reduce mixer speed to low and slowly add half of the flour mixture. Add half of the milk, then the rest of the flour and the rest of the milk. Beat until just combined. The batter will be thin.
5. Pour batter into a muffin pan prepared with paper liners. Fill liners 2/3 full.
6. Bake cupcakes for 12-14 minutes.
7. Cool cupcakes for 2 minutes, then carefully remove cupcakes from pan and leave to cool on a wire rack.
8. Frost with The Best Vanilla Buttercream Icing.
Makes 15 regular sized cupcakes or 24 mini cupcakes
Note: This recipe can be used for a 6 inch cake as well. Double the recipe for an 8″ or 9″ cake.
Recipe from Glorious Treats
The Best Vanilla Buttercream Icing
1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
5 cups confectioners’ sugar
2 tsp vanilla
1/4 cup milk
1. Beat butter with an electric mixer until fluffy.
2. Gradually add the sugar to the butter, one cup at a time.
3. Add the vanilla and milk and continue to beat until smooth and silky.
Recipe from Wine And Glue
Today’s cupcakes will surely make you smile.
Today’s musical ‘Smile’ will make you sad in a way that only a powerful song can.
“I’m alive, but I
I’d rather die
Than to see him make you smile
If I could I would set fire
Watch as it caves.
And I’ll smile as it caves”
Check out The Absolute on the band’s Website where you can buy their music.