I’ll say oui to both!
These cute little ham and cheese sandwiches would definitely complement a glass of wine. They’re also terrific alongside some steaming soup or a crisp green salad.
400g good quality white bread slices (about half a loaf)
60g thinly sliced ham
75g Gruyère cheese, sliced with a peeler
Béchamel Sauce (recipe follows)
1. Heat the grill or broiler to high.
2. Remove the crusts from the bread and cut the bread into 60 x 3cm squares. Lay squares on a greased or parchment lined baking sheet.
3. Brush half the squares with some Dijon mustard, then top with a slice of cheese and a piece of ham. Spoon on ¼ tsp béchamel.
4. Brush one side of the remaining bread squares with melted butter,then place, butter-side up, on top of the béchamel. (If not grilling immediately, cover and refrigerate until needed).
5. When ready to serve, broil the mini-sandwiches for 5 minutes until golden. Remove from the oven and flatten slightly using a clean baking sheet.
6. Spread ¼ tsp béchamel on top of each square and return to the oven for 5 minutes. Serve warm.
20g unsalted butter, plus extra, melted, for brushing and greasing
1½ tablespoon flour
200ml whole milk
1 tsp Dijon mustard, plus extra for brushing
Pinch freshly grated nutmeg
1. Heat the butter in a saucepan over low-medium heat. Stir in the flour and cook, stirring, for 1-2 minutes.
2. Reduce the heat and, stirring, gradually add the milk. Keep stirring until sauce thickens.
3. Stir in the Dijon mustard and nutmeg, then season to taste.
Recipes from Delicious Magazine
Mini Croque-Monsieurs are the perfect party food and ‘Lamb In Wolf’s Clothing’ by Nadia Kazmi belongs on the perfect party playlist. It’s a slinky, twangy foot stomper.
Check out Nadia Kazmi on her Website where you can buy the music.