Can it really be one year since I started writing I Sing In The Kitchen?
My how time flies. Thanks for hanging out with me over the past year. It has been so much fun cooking and singing with you all.
My first post, which you can read here, was for Gingerbread Cupcakes (man, were they ever delicious). January 6th is the twelfth day of Christmas and I always make some sort of Gingerbread recipe.
Today I baked a Gingerbread Cake topped with whipped cream swirled with lemon curd. Fabulous. The cake batter has ground as well as grated ginger, which makes it twice as nice. The lemon is a really nice complement. As is the lightly sweetened cream. Mmmmm.
Ingredients for the cake:
1 1/2 cups flour
1 teaspoon ground ginger
3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup unsalted butter, cut into 1/2″ pieces
1/2 cup (packed) light brown sugar
1/2 cup molasses
1 large egg, beaten to blend
2 teaspoons grated ginger
Ingredients for topping:
1 cup chilled heavy cream
1 tablespoon confectioners’ sugar
1/4 cup store-bought lemon curd
Finely grated lemon zest
1. Preheat oven to 350℉.
2. Coat 8×8 inch pan with nonstick spray. Line bottom with parchment paper; spray paper.
3. Whisk flour and next 5 ingredients in a medium bowl.
4. Place butter in a large bowl. Pour 1/2 cup boiling water over; whisk until melted. Whisk in sugar and next 3 ingredients. Add dry ingredients; whisk to blend. Transfer to prepared pan.
5. Bake until a tester inserted into center of cake comes out clean, about 25 minutes. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes. Invert onto a wire rack; let cool. Remove parchment.
6. To make topping beat cream and sugar in a medium bowl until firm peaks form. Fold in curd, leaving swirls. Spread over cake. Garnish with zest.
Recipe from Bon Appétit Magazine
One of the best parts about writing ISITK has been all of the new friends I have made.
Especially the musicians.
Nothing makes my day more than hearing from a band or making them a requested recipe. So surreal and so much fun.
The Finger, based out of Thessaloniki Greece, have their full length album coming out this year. I cannot wait.
Some details of the upcoming album in the words of the band:
“It will be titled “I Don’t Believe My Eyes” ( cause we really don’t believe some of the things that are happening right now in Greece). It consists of 11 tracks. What you’ll be hearing in the album are trumpets, choirs and other fun stuff, that we would like to keep as surprise. Lyrically, is a bit pessimistic and melancholic album, but hey, we do live in strange times. Don’t we? We also have have a couple of love tracks for all the broken hearted out there.”
I just shared The Finger’s new song on the I Sing In The Kitchen Facebook Page yesterday, but in case you missed it (and you don’t want to) here it is.