How many Mexicans does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
I know. I should stick to cooking.
This Enchilada Pie, even the crust, is cooked in the microwave, which I found amazing and convenient.
It is super delicious, too. Juan would like it.
Enchilada-Style Chicken Pie
Ingredients for the crust:
1 (15-ounce) package refrigerated pie crusts
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
Ingredients for the filling:
1 cup chopped onions
1 cup cubed, cooked chicken
1 (4 1/2-ounce) can chopped green chilies
3/4 cup sliced ripe olives, drained
1 cup shredded Monterey Jack or Cheddar cheese
1/2 cup milk
1/4 teaspoon cumin
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
1/8 teaspoon pepper
A few drops of hot pepper sauce
Salsa, sour cream, avocado slices, pickled jalapeño slices, cilantro
1. Unroll pie crust into a 9-inch microwave-safe pie pan. Flute edges, if desired. Generously prick crust with fork.
2. In medium bowl, combine 1 egg and Worcestershire sauce; blend well. Brush lightly over pie crust. (Reserve any remaining egg mixture for filling.) Microwave on HIGH for 6 to 8 minutes, rotating pan 1/2 turn every 2 minutes. Crust is done when surface appears dry and flaky.
3. Place onions in small microwave-safe bowl. Cover with microwave-safe plastic wrap. Microwave on HIGH for 3 minutes or until crisp-tender. Drain well.
4. To assemble pie, layer chicken, cooked onions, chiles, olives and cheese in cooked pie shell. In medium bowl, combine milk, 3 eggs, cumin, garlic powder, pepper, hot pepper sauce and any remaining egg mixture; blend well. Pour mixture slowly over cheese.
5. Microwave on HIGH for 8 to 11 minutes or until knife inserted near center comes out clean, rotating pan once halfway through cooking. Let stand 5 minutes before serving. Cut into wedges to serve along with toppings of choice.
Recipe from Pillsbury Best of the Bake-Off Cookbook
Song of the moment. I love the darkness, the cloak of possession, the guitars.
I love that he is going to kill her again.
This is folk/alt-country at its best.
“I’m going to leave you
I’m going to leave you lying dead
When your last breath is gone
I’ll put that gun to my head
And it’s goodbye cruel world.
And when I see you in hell
I’ll kill you again
So baby we can burn burn burn
For all eternity
You and I will always be together”
The Mountain Firework Company-Burn
Check out The Mountain Firework Company Website. The design is particularly cool. You can buy the music there, too.
The Mountain Firework Company can also be found on Facebook and Twitter.
I like your joke! Of course I had to read it twice to get it…just me.
I know I would enjoy eating this pie (green chilies and olives – yum!) and agree that Juan would probably like it too! Love that it can be cooked in the microwave!
I’m pretty sure that when we meet up in the future it will be over Mexican food and, possibly, a Michelada.
I had never seen a pie recipe cooked in the microwave. It worked great!
I will definitely try this, but I think I’ll just pop it in the oven. Reckon it wouldn’t take more than 20-30 minutes since the chicken is already cooked, eh? <3
I bet that will work just fine. Let me know how it turns out.
I am so going to make your Pie
Terrific! I hope that you enjoy it.