I’m a huge fan of Marcona almonds, those rounded, plump, sweet, moist, salty and delicately soft nuts.
Marcona almonds are the star in these divine cookies. The almonds are processed into almond butter which is used to make a top shelf, salty-sweet version of peanut butter cookies.
6-3/4 oz (1-1/2 cups) flour
3/4 tsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1 cup Marcona almonds, plus 40 for decoration
4 oz (1/2 cup) unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
1 large egg
1/4 tsp almond extract
1. Position racks in the upper and lower thirds of the oven and heat the oven to 350°F. Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, baking powder, and baking soda.
3. Process the almonds in a food processor until the mixture is like smooth peanut butter, about 2 minutes.
4. In a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment (or in a large bowl using a hand-held electric mixer), beat the almond butter and unsalted butter on medium-high speed until creamy, about 2 minutes. Add the sugars and beat until light and fluffy, 1 to 2 minutes. Add the egg and the almond extract, and mix on medium-low speed until incorporated.
5. Add the flour mixture and mix on low speed until combined.
6. Roll tablespoonfuls of the dough into balls (an ice cream scoop makes this quick) and arrange about 2 inches apart on the prepared sheets.
7. Press the tines of a fork into the dough in a crosshatch pattern to flatten to about 2 inches wide (I dipped the fork lightly in flour to keep it from sticking to the dough), then press a whole almond into the center.
8. Bake, switching positions and rotating the sheets halfway through, until the cookies are golden brown, 12 to 15 minutes. Cool on the baking sheets until firm, about 5 minutes, and then transfer to racks to cool completely. (The cookies can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 week.)
Makes about 40 cookies
Recipe from Fine Cooking Magazine
I’ve gone completely nuts for this new song from Yorkshire based band, Volcanoes. ‘When We Melodise’ is at once gentle and insistent with lovely, layered harmonies, soft guitar and a dose of strings.
I cannot get enough, especially that change at the 3 minute mark. Nice.
Check out Volcanoes on the band’s Website, where you can buy their music.