Kids of all types will like these fun quesadillas inspired by that ubiquitous tetrahedral, pyramid-shaped Halloween-themed candy.
Definitely not sweet, these Candy Corn Quesadillas are filled with chicken and corn mixed with salsa, barbecue sauce and a hint of cumin. They get their festive look from cheese, crushed nacho chips and sour cream spooned in bands over the top to mimic the candies.
Candy Corn Quesadillas
1 pound cooked chicken, chopped
16 ounces salsa
1 cup frozen corn, thawed
1/4 cup barbecue sauce
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 cup butter, melted
8 flour tortillas (10 inch size)
1 jar (15-1/2 ounces) salsa con queso dip, warmed
4 cups shredded Mexican cheese blend
2-2/3 cups crushed nacho-flavored tortilla chips
1/2 cup sour cream
1. Combine the first five ingredients in a Dutch oven. Stir occasionally until heated through.
2. Brush butter over one side of each tortilla.
3. Place one tortilla in a large skillet, buttered side down. Spoon 1 cup of the chicken mixture on top then cover with another tortilla, buttered side up. Cook over medium heat 1-2 minutes or until bottom is lightly browned. Flip quesadilla over.
4. Spread 1/2 cup of the queso dip over the quesadilla then carefully sprinkle cheese along outer edge. Cook, covered, 1-2 minutes or until cheese begins to melt.
5. Remove quesadilla to a cutting board. Sprinkle crushed chips over the queso dip. Cut quesadilla into six wedges. Place a small dollop of sour cream at the point of each wedge.
6. Repeat with remaining ingredients to make a total of 4 quesadillas.
Serves 4 to 6 as a main course or more as a snack
Recipe from Taste Of Home
I was looking for some candy themed songs when I came across this tune from Boston-based band Dutch Tulips.
‘Candy Factor’ presents as a total music disconnect for me. The heavy guitars lend a total rock and roll vibe. But the singer’s voice, the backing vocals and the lyrics all feel like they belong in an 80s synth-laden situation.
That said, ‘Candy Factor’ is oddly captivating. I’m also never going to pass on a song that includes a lyric like:
“Oh, candy factor
Rock and Roll
Is the greatest tractor
Rock and Roll is the greatest
And there is a passing mention of Interstate 93…so there’s that.
Check out Dutch Tulips on Bandcamp where you can buy their music and learn of an upcoming show in Boston.