Bread pudding gets the autumn treatment in this homey breakfast casserole. All of the flavors of pumpkin pie seep into the sweet bread cubes and a cream cheese drizzle cuts the sugarfest. Bonus: It’s a make ahead dish so, if you plan to serve it to guests, you can sleep a little later in the morning.
Pumpkin Pie Breakfast Bread Pudding
2 pkgs (12 oz each) King’s Hawaiian rolls, cut into twelfths
4 cups half-and-half
1 (15 oz) can pumpkin purée
1 ¼ cups granulated sugar
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground ginger
½ tsp salt
¼ tsp ground allspice
¼ tsp freshly grated nutmeg
6 oz purchased amaretti cookies, roughly chopped, plus more for garnish
Sanding or coarse sugar
Cream Cheese Topping (recipe follows)
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a 9 × 13-inch baking dish with nonstick spray.
2. Toast cut rolls on two baking sheets in oven until deep golden in color, 30 minutes, rotating baking sheets and tossing cut rolls every 10 minutes.
3. Whisk together half and half, eggs, pumpkin purée, granulated sugar, cinnamon, ginger, salt, allspice, nutmeg, and cayenne in a large bowl.
4. Toss together toasted rolls and amaretti cookies.
5. Place a third of roll mixture in prepared dish.
6. Add remaining roll mixture to egg mixture and toss to coat; pour over dry rolls in dish and cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate pudding at least 3 hours or up to 1 day.
7. Preheat oven to 350°F.
8. Remove plastic wrap and sprinkle sanding sugar over pudding. Cover pudding with foil.
9. Bake pudding 30 minutes. Remove foil and bake pudding until golden, 30 minutes more.
10. Let pudding cool 15 minutes before serving with a drizzle of the warmed cream cheese topping. Garnish servings with additional crushed cookies, if you like.
Cream Cheese Topping
8oz cream cheese, cubed
¾ cup half and half
1. Whisk cream cheese with half and half in a saucepan over medium-low heat until smooth.
Recipes slightly adapted from Cuisine At Home
Anybody watch ‘The Voice’?
It’s one of my favorite fall TV shows. I think the blind audition episodes are so much fun and pretty fascinating.
Today’s song is new from The Shades, a Chicago-based trio comprised of NBC ‘The Voice’ contestant, Andrew DeMuro, and brothers Phil and Mark Jacobson.
“Great Escape” would be perfect on the stereo while chilling in the morning and enjoying the pumpkin spice aroma swirling around your kitchen. The excitement of adventure in your ears mixed with the anticipation of a tasty breakfast will get the day off to a great start.
“The worst is behind us”