Brigadeiro Cake packs in all of the flavors of the traditional Brazilian bon bon. The chocolate cake layers have a mild citrus note which contrasts beautifully with the rich chocolate caramel icing. Chocolate jimmies give just the right textural balance.
To make the cake even more festive, cover with some brigadeiros. There is a really good recipe for them in this post.
Ingredients for the cake:
5 1/3 ounces dark chocolate, chopped
50 grams butter
150 grams/ (5 1/3 ounces) dark brown sugar
Zest of one lemon
50 ml milk
150 grams/ (5 1/3 ounces) flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
Ingredients for the icing:
125 grams/ (4 1/2 ounces) unsweetened cocoa powder
250 ml milk
1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
Chocolate jimmies and Brigadeiros, to garnish
1. Preheat oven to 180ºC/350ºF. Grease a round cake pan (23 centimeters/9 inches)) and dust with some flour.
2. Separate the yolks from the whites. Beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form.
3. Melt chocolate and butter in the microwave. Stir until smooth and set aside.
4. Use an electric mixer to beat the egg yolks, brown sugar and the lemon zest until creamy. Add the chocolate and milk. Mix for 3 minutes.
5. Reduce the mixer speed to low then add the flour and baking powder. Beat until creamy then gently fold in the whipped egg whites.
6. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake until a tester inserted in the center comes out clean, about 40 to 45 minutes.
7. Allow cake to cool for about 5 minutes then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
8. To make the icing, place the milk, cocoa powder, and sweetened condensed milk in a saucepan. Whisk to combine then place the pan over low heat and stir occasionally with a wooden spoon until mixture thickens, about 25 minutes. Turn off the heat and allow to cool about 5 minutes.
9. Slice the cake in half with a long knife.
10. Spread the bottom half of the cake with a little of the icing and top with other half of cake.
11. Spread remaining icing over the cake. Garnish with chocolate jimmies and brigadeiros and serve. Store the cake in the refrigerator.
Recipe from Food From Portugal
Ride out your sugar coma on this chill wave of a song. “Excuses/Opinions II” is new from Santa Cruz, CA-based band Getaway Dogs.
Check out Getaway Dogs on the band’s Website where you can link to buy their music.