Put it all together and you have an incredibly moist, buttery cake packed with a flavor wallop of walnuts, cinnamon and honey. The cinnamon/vanilla/honey whipped topping is out of this world.
Baklava Poke Cake
1 (15.25 oz) box butter pecan cake mix (I used this mix and added 1 cup of chopped pecans)
2 1/2 cups finely chopped walnuts
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 cup butter, melted
1 (14 oz) can sweetened condensed milk
3/4 cup honey
Whipped Topping (recipe follows)
Additional walnuts and honey for topping, if desired
1. Bake cake according to package directions in a 9 x 13 cake pan.
2. In a small bowl, mix together walnuts, cinnamon and butter and set aside.
3. In another bowl, mix together sweetened condensed milk and honey.
4. Once cake is done, remove from oven and let cool for 10 minutes.
5. Poke holes all over the cake using the handle of a wooden spoon or similar.
6. Pour three quarters of sweetened condensed milk mixture over cake.
7. Cover cake with walnut mixture.
8. Pour the remaining sweetened condensed milk mixture over walnut layer.
9. Put cake in refrigerator and allow to cool completely and absorb the milk mixture, about an hour.
10. Spread whipped topping onto completely cooled cake.
11. Keep cake refrigerated until ready to serve.
12. Before serving sprinkle with additional chopped walnuts and a drizzle of honey, if you like.
1 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup confectioners’ sugar
1/8 cup honey
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1. Whip heavy cream until it begins to thicken.
2. Add sugar, honey, vanilla and cinnamon and whip until stiff peaks form.
Recipes from Life, Love And Sugar
The amazing Tim Noyes, whose music I fell in love with when he was fronting the band Aunt Martha, created his latest project, Handsome Ghost, about 2 years ago.
Brand new song ‘Graduate’ goes the synth-pop route with Tim’s smooth vocals gliding over the irresistible beat. This brand of ‘Indie Prom’ is certainly something to celebrate with cake.
Check out Handsome Ghost on the band’s Website where you can learn of upcoming US tour dates and buy the music.