There are plenty of reasons to love Mindy Kaling, the talented actress-writer, but her invention of this Sriracha Cheeseburger is waaaay high on the list.
Ms. Kaling says of the burger recipe: “Spicy and cheesy, it reflects my own personality”.
And spicy and cheesy it is, piled high with layers of pickled jalapeños, fried onion strings and homemade sriracha aioli. Fun and fantastic.
The Mindy Burger AKA Sriracha Cheeseburger
1 cup mayonnaise
1 clove garlic, minced
2 Tbs Sriracha hot sauce
½ lemon, juiced
1½ Tbs butter, melted
4 brioche buns, halved
1½ lbs ground beef, shaped into 4-inch patties
1 tsp salt
½ tsp black pepper
4 slices white cheddar cheese
¼ cup pickled jalapeño slices
¼ cup onion strings (recipe follows)
1. Make a Sriracha aioli by whisking together mayonnaise, garlic, Sriracha and lemon juice in a bowl. Chill until ready to use.
2. Brush butter on both cut sides of buns and place on a hot pan or grill to toast.
3. Season burger patties with salt and pepper. In a large heavy pan over medium-high heat, cook burgers about 4 minutes, until well seared on one side. Turn over and cook another 3 minutes. Top with cheese slices and cook until melted, about 1 minute.
4. To assemble, spread aioli on top and bottom buns. Place burgers in buns and top with jalapeños, more aioli and onion strings.
Makes 4 burgers
1 large yellow onion, cut into thin strips
1 cup buttermilk
1 cup flour
½ tsp smoked paprika (I used regular…not a fan of the smoked variety)
1. Soak onion strips in buttermilk for about 3 hours. Drain and discard buttermilk.
2. Combine flour and paprika in a bowl, and toss in onion strips until well coated.
3. In small batches, fry onion strings in 1½ inches of hot oil (375°) until crispy and light brown, about 1 minute. Drain on paper towel-lined plate. Season with salt.
Makes 1 cup
Recipes from People.com
Swedish pop band Francis has a new album out titled ‘Marathon’. It’s packed with pretty songs that highlight Petra Mases’ lovely voice. I love the jangle of the guitars in “Follow Me Home”.
Check out Francis on the band’s Website where you can learn of upcoming shows in Germany and buy their music.