I thought these little guys were so cute and hi-hats are always so much fun.
The Hi-Hat Filling I used here is a really easy version to whip up, but a touch airy. I prefer the filling I used to make these hi-hats. That post also includes some step by step instructions which you might find helpful.
Cupcakes–I used a combination of 12 regular and 24 minis. My flavor choice was Devil’s Food. :)
Marshmallow Hi-Hat Filling (recipe follows)
White chocolate or candy melts, melted (about 2 pounds)
Chocolate chips, full size and/or minis
1. Fill a pastry bag with the Marshmallow Hi-Hat Filling.
3. Place the piped cupcakes in the freezer for several hours or overnight. The marshmallow must be very cold and firm so that it holds up when dipped in the chocolate coating.
4. Dip the filling of each cupcake into the melted chocolate. (I had more luck spooning the chocolate over with a spoon with this particular, delicate filling.)
5. Press chocolate chips onto the chocolate before it sets to create eyes and mouth. Alternatively, you can melt the chocolate and paint on a more dramatic face.
Recipe from Mighty Delighty
Marshmallow Hi-Hat Filling
1. In a measuring cup, bring 3/4 cup of water to a boil in the microwave. Stir in 1/2 cup of granulated sugar until completely dissolved. Set aside to cool to room temperature.
2. Once the sugar water is cool, add 1/4 cup of meringue powder to the bowl of a stand mixer. Add sugar water and beat for 10 to 15 minutes until very stiff peaks form.
Makes enough for 12 full size cupcakes and 24 mini cupcakes
Recipe from King Arthur Flour
I was looking for something to get me in the Halloween mood. I stumbled upon this song and fell in love with the lyrics. I mean, who hasn’t felt Epic Sadness? And doesn’t this song remind you of how it felt?
“We dreamt of light
But went for dark
Our epic sadness
Broke our fucking hearts
The darkness came
And swallowed us whole
We lost our way
And fell far below”
Check out Hungry Ghost on the band’s Website, where you can learn of upcoming US tour dates and link to buy their music.