I assure you that you will want to sink your teeth into this Mexican Beef Casserole. Much tastier than your average footballer, it’s packed with beans and vegetables layered between corn tortillas, sour cream and taco flavored meat. The dish is finally topped off with a healthy dose of cheese and some jalapeños to give it some bite.
1 lb lean ground beef
1 medium onion, chopped
1 (8 oz) can kernel corn drained
1 (15 oz) can black beans rinsed and drained
1 (14 oz) can diced tomatoes
1 (1 oz) pkg taco seasoning
8 to 12 corn tortillas, halved
3/4 cup nonfat sour cream
1/3 cup Mexican blend or taco cheese, shredded
Sliced jalapeño peppers (I used pickled)
Serve with some salsa and cilantro, optional
1. Brown ground beef and onion together until beef is no longer pink, about 10 to 12 minutes; drain.
2. Add corn, beans, tomatoes and taco seasoning. Mix well and simmer for 5 minutes.
3. Grease a 13 x 9 inch baking dish.
4. Place half of tortillas in bottom of prepared baking dish. Spoon half of beef mixture on top. Spread sour cream over beef. Layer with remaining tortillas and then beef mixture.
5. Bake in preheated 350℉ oven for 25 minutes. Remove from oven and sprinkle with cheese and jalapeño peppers (I only put jalapeños on one half since not everyone here is a fan). Bake for another 5 minutes or until cheese is melted. Let stand for 5 minutes and serve.
Recipe from Wills Kitchen
‘I Get Angry’ by The Bite seems like the perfect song to play today.
Check out The Bite on Bandcamp, where you can name your price for their music.