When I read about this recipe for Strawberry Almond Meringue Blobs, you know the first thing that came to mind?
The Blob was a staple of my youth horror film watching. I was seriously into it. Now, I get the camp aspect. Best part of that trailer…”Starring Steve McQueen and a cast of exciting young people”. Hilarious.
Yesterday I posted a recipe for Meringue Gâteau With Kiwi And Strawberry. This recipe is very similar, with the exception that it has almonds on the meringue which lend a lovely crunch. The green of the mint and the red strawberries make these easy meringues a perfect Christmastime dessert.
Strawberry Almond Meringue Blobs
4 egg whites
1 cup (225g) caster sugar
1/2 ounce sliced almonds
300ml whipped cream
450g (1 pound) strawberries, sliced
Mint sprigs to decorate
1. Preheat oven to 150℃/300℉. Line 2 baking trays with parchment paper or Silpat mats.
2. Using an electric mixer, beat egg whites until soft peaks. Add sugar and whisk at high speed until very thick, stiff and glossy.
3. Spoon or pipe meringue into 19cm/7 1/2 inch blobs on prepared trays and scatter each with a few almonds.
4. Bake for 45-60 minutes, or until crisp and peel off the paper easily.
3. When ready to serve, Pipe or spoon some whipped cream onto each meringue. Top with sliced strawberries and decorate with mint.
Xerox Feinberg & The Horrible Blob released another quirky collection of tunes this past September. “The Exciting Sounds Of Total Irrelevance” contains songs with titles like “I Killed A Fly”, “Sympathy For The Hipster” and “Ugly Old Man”.
I think my favorite is “Ballad Of A Water Bottle”. It’s a wicked catchy little song.
“And I wanted to be a solution
But I’m just another piece of pollution
Floating free in the ocean
Floating free in your ocean”