If you need a little Spring to warm up a cold November day, these sunny little Lemon Blueberry Squares are just the ticket. Light and refreshing, the sweetness of the blueberries contrasts beautifully with the tartness of the lemon. The squares are delicious as is, but the sweet lemon glaze adds a delectable bit of crunch.
I couldn’t find any decent looking fresh blueberries (it isn’t Spring after all), so I used frozen. Tasted just fine, but I strongly recommend using fresh blueberries so that the batter doesn’t get streaked purple like mine.
250g (2 cups) self raising flour
1 tsp baking powder
225g (1 cup plus 2 Tbs) golden caster sugar
4 large eggs
225g softened butter
3 Tbs milk
Zest of three lemons
Ingredients for glaze:
175g (about 3/4 cup) granulated sugar
Juice of 2 lemons
1. In a large bowl, mix together the dry ingredients.
2. With an electric mixer, beat the eggs, milk, butter and lemon zest until smooth.
3. Add dry ingredients to butter mixture. Stir in the blueberries.
4. Put the batter into a greased and parchment lined 25cm x 30xm tin (13 x 9 inch)
5. Bake in the middle of oven on 180℃ (350℉) for 35 minutes.
6. To make the topping, mix the lemon juice and granulated sugar in a small bowl. Spoon this mixture evenly over the tray bake while still warm.
7. When cool, cut into squares and store in an airtight tin.
Recipe from Delicious. Magazine
Chicago based band The Personnel have a new EP out. “Naïve” has all the workings of a rock-out stadium tune. A little bit Imagine Dragons meets Coldplay and Kings Of Leon.
Check out The Personnel on Facebook and Bandcamp, where the band is giving their new EP away for free.
Mmm love these, look delicious and I love the colours!