Somebody wants to wish those celebrating, a very Happy Fourth Of July.
To dress up these Black Bottom Cupcakes for Independence Day, I made them in Red, White and Blue liners.
No need for icing on these babies. Rich chocolate cake filled with dollops of chocolate chip cheesecake are all you need. Sweet and tangy at the same time, they are calling your name.
Ingredients for cream cheese filling:
16-oz cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 tsp salt
2 large egg whites
2 Tbs sour cream
1/3 cup miniature chocolate chips (Do not use regular size as they will sink to bottom of cupcakes)
Ingredients for cake:
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup Dutch-processed cocoa powder
1 1/4 cups sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/4 tsp baking soda
3/4 cup sour cream
1 1/3 cups water
1/2 cup (8 Tbs) butter, melted and slightly cooled
1 tsp vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 350℉.
2. Line two 12-cup muffin tins with paper liners.
3. In a medium bowl, make filling. Beat together cream cheese, sugar and salt until smooth. Beat in egg whites and sour cream. Stir in chocolate chips and set aside.
4. In a large bowl, whisk together sugar, salt, flour, cocoa powder and baking soda. Make a well in the center and add in sour cream, water, butter and vanilla. Stir together until just combined and no streaks of flour remain.
5. Divide cake batter evenly among 24 cupcake liners. Top each portion of batter with 1 rounded tablespoon cream cheese mixture.
6. Bake for 20-25 minutes. A toothpick inserted into the side (cake only part) should come out with a few moist crumbs on it. Cool in pans for 10 minutes. Cream cheese filling should sink slightly in this time. Remove to wire racks to cool completely.
Makes 24 cupcakes
Recipe from Cook’s Country Magazine
Appropriate for today is Atherton’s ‘The Fourth Of July’.
This song is flat out gorgeous.
Atherton-Fourth Of July
Check out Atherton on Myspace. You can buy the music here.