Every time I say “million dollar” I think of this. I love that pinky.
I’m not sure why this Pound Cake got the Million Dollar moniker, but I can tell you this….It is wicked good. The cake is very dense with the vanilla flavor shining right through.
The Bourbon Boiled Custard makes this cake only that much richer. Really delicious.
Million Dollar Pound Cake
1 pound butter, softened
3 cups sugar
4 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup milk
1 tsp almond extract
1 tsp vanilla extract
Bourbon Boiled Custard, to serve (recipe follows)
1. Preheat the oven to 300℉.
2. Cream the butter, gradually add the sugar. Beat well. Add the eggs , one at a time, beating after each. Add the flour to the creamed mixture, alternating with milk. Begin and end with flour. Do not overmix. Add the extracts.
3. Pour batter into a greased and floured tube pan (10 inch).
4. Bake for 1 1/2 hours, or until slightly firm to the touch. Cool in pan for 10 minutes.
Bourbon Boiled Custard
1 cup sugar
2 Tbs flour
3 cups scalded milk
1 cup heavy cream
2 tsp vanilla
1/4 cup bourbon (You can omit the bourbon, but why would you want to? Seriously, the custard is fantastic either way.)
1. In the top of a double boiler, combine sugar, beaten eggs, flour and a pinch of salt. Place mixture over boiling water and slowly add the milk and cream.
2. Stir constantly until the mixture can coat a spoon. Immediately remove from heat and add the vanilla and bourbon.
3. Refrigerate. After well chilled, the custard will thicken. Serve as is or spooned alongside poundcake (or fruit).
Makes 6 dessert servings or plenty to serve alongside the cake.
Recipes from Being Dead Is No Excuse Cookbook
Pound Cake made me think of Thirty Pounds Of Bone. You know, in that random word kind of way.
This song makes me weak in the knees.
Thirty Pounds Of Bone-A Lesson In Talking
Check out Thirty Pounds Of Bone on the Website and Facebook. You definitely want to watch Johny Lamb play This Toad Session.
You can buy Thirty Pounds Of Bone’s music on the Bandcamp Page.