I have some good stories about scallops, but they involve my husband’s side of the family. I don’t think they read the blog, but I’m going to clam up just to be safe.
This recipe is fast and elegant. Most importantly it’s really delicious. I love how the microwave makes it so easy to make polenta.
Seared Scallops With Olive And Tomato Compote Over Polenta
2 Tbs. olive oil
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
28 oz can petite diced tomatoes
1 Tbs red wine vinegar
1/2 cup Kalamata olives, chopped
1 1/4 lbs sea scallops
1. Saute onion in oil for 6 minutes, until soft. Stir in garlic and cook 1 minute. Add tomatoes, vinegar and black pepper to taste. Heat to boiling. Cook about 8 minutes until thickened. Stir in olives. Keep warm.
2. Prepare polenta (recipe follows)
3. Season scallops with salt and pepper and cook about 5 minutes until done.
Serve scallops and compote over polenta. Makes 4 Main dish servings.
2 1/4 cup boiling water
1 cup low fat milk
3/4 cup yellow cornmeal
1. In 2 qt microwave bowl stir together all ingredients. Cover with wax paper and cook in microwave on high for 5 minutes.
2. Remove from microwave and whisk to remove lumps. Microwave, covered, on high for about 2 more minutes until thick. Makes 3 cups.
Since I’m clamming up, how about some Elvis?
Elvis Presley-Do The Clam
Even better…The Clash and the CLAMpdown.
I’m fresh out of clam tunes so it looks like I’m gonna Squeeze in some Mussels.
Squeeze-Pulling Mussels (From The Shell)