Have you ever had Samoas Girl Scout Cookies?
It most certainly does not look like that, but who cares. I love them.
So, it is no surprise that I would love these cupcakes.
It’s not just love. We are talking mad, passionate love.
As you know, I adore the salted chocolate/caramel thing. And now you know I love Samoas.
I LOVE THESE CUPCAKES.
Salted Chocolate Cupcakes
Ingredients for salted chocolate cupcakes:
1 cup sour cream
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 cups flour
½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 cup unsalted butter
1 cup granulated sugar
½ cup light brown sugar
1 teaspoon salt
2 eggs, plus 2 egg yolks
1 tablespoon vanilla
Directions for salted chocolate cupcakes:
1. Heat oven to 350℉. Fill cupcake tin with paper liners.
2. In a bowl, mix sour cream and baking soda together; set aside.
3. Sift flour and cocoa powder; set aside.
4. Using a mixer beat butter and both sugars until light and fluffy. Add in salt and beat until combined. Add in eggs and beat until combined. Add in egg yolks and vanilla and beat until combined.
5. Turn off mixer and add in sour cream mixture and flour mixture, alternating in thirds. Fill cupcake liner two-thirds full. Bake for about 20-25 minutes. Cool cupcakes completely before frosting.
Salted Caramel Buttercream Icing
Ingredients for salted caramel buttercream icing:
½ cup granulated sugar
2 tablespoons water
2 tablespoons butter
6 tablespoons of heavy cream
½ teaspoons of kosher salt
1 cup of unsalted butter, softened
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
2 cups confectioners’ sugar
Directions to make the salted caramel buttercream icing:
1. To make the caramel portion: Add sugar and water into a saucepan over medium low heat. Stir until sugar has dissolved. Once sugar has dissolved increase heat to high. Now and then, using the handle give the pot a swirl to keep the mixture moving. Do not stir the mixture directly. The mixture will start to bubble after a minute. As the mixture darkens to a medium amber color, approximately 5 minutes add the 2 tablespoons of butter and cream to saucepan. The mixture will bubble wildly. Whisk to combine (bubbles will subside upon cooling). Add salt and stir to combine. Set aside to cool completely before adding it to the next step.
2. Finishing the caramel buttercream icing: Place butter and vanilla in a bowl and beat on high until butter is pale and fluffy, about 3-4 minutes. Turn mixer speed down to medium and add powdered sugar ½ cup at a time. Beat until combined.
3. Add in caramel sauce and beat until combined.
Ingredients for toasted coconut:
½ cup of sweetened coconut
Directions for toasting coconut:
1. Spread coconut on top of foil and bake at 350℉ for 5-7 minutes or until shreds start to turn light brown.
(Even easier: buy toasted coconut from King Arthur Flour)
Ingredients for chocolate drizzle:
2 oz milk chocolate
Directions for chocolate drizzle:
1. Melt milk chocolate in microwave for about 30 seconds or until drizzling consistency.
Directions to assemble the Samoas Cupcakes:
1. Frost cupcakes with salted buttercream as desired. Sprinkle with toasted coconut and finish with a drizzle of chocolate.
Makes approximately 20-24 cupcakes
Recipe from Bakers Royale
By the way, the salted chocolate cupcake recipe is the one I mentioned that I used for the Microphone Cupcakes.
Samoas Cupcakes don’t sing, but they sure are a hard act to follow.
But, then there is British Sea Power. They are definitely as good as the cupcakes.
Waving Flags was my favorite song of 2008. It was brilliant then, it is even better now.
British Sea Power-Waving Flags
This is a cool video. Fantastic song.
Go buy everything that British Sea Power has recorded. You can start on the band’s website. Their concert schedule is listed, too. I hear they are amazing live. I’m sure.